Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mawma_gw

Help do you know the name of these beans?

mawma
15 years ago

We have some beans that we were told was creasebacks. But everything I have looked at & read says that they are pole beans. Ours aren't, they are bush beans. They have purple blooms, but you don't know when they have beans until you go out & pull back the leaves & they are hanging there. They will have everything from blooms to full size beans at the same time after they get started. They will produce till frost as long as they get water. The first year that we planted them we got alot off of them,then it turned dry & we weren't equipped to water then & didn't need the space so we just left the plants, they had dropped all their leaves. Then in late summer or early fall it started raining and durn if those crazy beans didn't start blooming & putting on beans without any leaves. So we started calling them crazy beans. They will stay tender till they get quite big. When you dry them for saving for seed, they will have some that are light cream with light brown streaks & sploches, dark cream w dark brown streaks, light brown w dark streaks, med & dark brown with black streaks, black w brown streaks & solid black beans, They can have 5 or 6 beans in each pod, in any combination of colors coming from the same pod. If anyone out there knows the real name of these I sure would appreicate you letting me know. They have the best flavor of any green bean that we have tried.

Thanks mawma

they

Comments (4)

• Macmex
    15 years ago

Mawma, I haven't checked in at this forum for a while. Seems to me you may have posted somewhere else. Did you receive a satisfactory reply anywhere else?

"Creaseback" refers to the type of pod, not necessarily the form of the plant. I believe it refers to the back side of the pod being indented, "creased."

Sounds like you have a real winner! Hang onto that seed and try to get it into others' hands, so that it doesn't get lost.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• phantom_white
    15 years ago

What color are the pods, and how big do they get? Are the seed beans fairly large compared to other types of seeds beans? It almost sounds like Mountain Climber... but the taste for MC isn't all that great. The plants will produce under pretty much any conditions, yeilding massive amounts of huge, plump pods. The seeds for MC seem to match up to what you describe.

Abby

• mawma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The pods are green, they get up to 8 inches long & will get as big as 2 regular pencils together. The seed beans are about the size of a regular pinto bean with some a little larger & some smaller, but usually about the same size. I have been looking at different beans, I saw some called Pebble Beans that looked alot like them except that they had white beans in them & our Crazy beans don't have any white beans at all. If either of you would like some to try. I would be glad to give you some. mawma

• daisy4655
    15 years ago

Mawma, did you get my e-mail about trading for some of your beans?
    I would really like to try them. If interested, please e-mail me.
    Thanks!
    Beth