Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bella_trix_gw

Romanesco zucchini from Franchi seeds

bella_trix
17 years ago

Does anyone know if the Romanesco zucchini offered by Franchi seeds is the same Costata romanesco heirloom recommened by people on this forum? I love the taste of the Franchi zucchini, but would like to try Costata Romanesco if it is something different.

Thank you,

Bellatrix

Comments (2)

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Why not email the guy at www.growitalian.com I bet he would have the answer!

• gorbelly
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I know this is an older thread, but for the sake of posterity, I thought I'd leave a response. I e-mailed growitalian.com, and the owner said that it's "probably the same, or very close". What he sells is a deeply ribbed zucchini from Rome with very good flavor. However, he can't guarantee it's the same, as one can get surprisingly different results from different seed sources.

I have always had great experiences with Franchi seed, so I'm torn. Whenever I've bought heirloom seed from them, plants have been way healthier, more consistent, and more productive than the results reported from seeds from "artisan" American sources, with no loss of flavor. Unsurprising if their primary target is the very demanding Italian market.

If I have the space, I might do a side by side grow-out to assess any differences.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living