Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galcho

Heirloom tomatoes, early for Seattle area

galcho
18 years ago

Are there somebody from Seattle area who was growing Aunt Gertie's Gold tomatoes. How are they in our area?

What will be a good choice for yellow tomatoes?

Thanks

GK

Comments (4)

• suze9
    18 years ago

Hi, GK. Based on what I've read from others in your area that post on the tomato forum, AGG probably wouldn't be one you'd want to rely on for a main cropper or as an early variety (it's more mid/late - late season). However, that wouldn't mean that you'd need to write it off entirely. Depends on how many plants you were planning on putting out. If you've got room for at least one plant that could end up producing a small amount of sublime fruit, go for it.

Early yellow/gold/orange varieties that I like include Sungold and Jaune Flammee. Also, container planting and raised beds can tend to speed things up in terms of production which could be quite helpful in your area (and will also help with drainage).

Here's a thread you may find helpful:
    tomatoes anonymous PNW 5

Also, do a search on the tomato forum on 'yellow' for more ideas. Several threads recently on this subject that you might find helpful.

• galcho
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Suze, i'll do some reading.

• Mary_in_pnw
    18 years ago

GK, I can't say with certainty that you could not grow Aunt Gertie's Gold. I don't think Kathy on the Tomatoes Anonymous thread has ever grown A.G.G. She is the only Seattle grower who is a regular poster. I would suggest that you take a tour of your garden. What is the warmest/sunniest microclimate there? If you can spare that space, that is where I would plant tomatoes.

In the past I have read posts from Pudget Sound tomato growers. There was even a guy from Vashon Is. who grew large and tasty tomatoes, but I think he had a perfect spot for them. Look for south facing walls that will bounce heat/light into your plants. Planting in pots next to your driveway works for some. Again, anything that will bounce heat and light into the plants. Walls of Water, (WOWs) would help keep heat around your plants. A hoop house would work, although it might be more work than you would like. 2 liter pop bottles filled with water around your plants would act like W.O.Ws. Tomato cages wrapped with thick mil clear plastic would also help keep heat around the plants.

A.G.G. would most likely not be an early for you. It would not be any early down here in Eugene, OR.

I hope you find this helpful. One of the best things we northwest growers can do is plant our seeds early enough. I think Kathy started hers in February and then worked them out into her greenhouse.

Hope this is helpful.

Mary

• bill_southerncal
    18 years ago

I am not from Seattle at all. But I grow tomatoes in the fall here, and sometimes, the plant survives through Feb. 1. That one heirloom I like best so far is Jaune Flamme. Our temps start dipping into the high 30s in December through February. The average high temp is 68 or so. Still, I had very nice fruit. It's not as large, juicy, or sweet as the summer. But no complaints from me. I've also grown Galina, Stupice and Siberia with decent results in our winters. Early Girl hybrid starts out with a bang, and fizzles near Christmas, but the fruit are larger, and two slices make a decent BLT. I hate to admit it, but some of the volunteer cherries did the best. This year, we had frost for the first time in four years, so my tomatoes are done.