Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beebiz_gw

'Sallet' onions...

beebiz
18 years ago

Hello All,

First of all, let me say that I did not misspell Shallot! I meant Sallet (pronounced sal-it) by my father!

Next, let me say that I don't know if this is the right place for this or not, but being an "old timey" kind of onion (according to dad), I thought the Heirloom Plants & Gardens forum as good of a place to start as any!

My dad (66 yrs.) says that when he was growing up here in NW TN, his father had a patch of multiplying onions that grew along one of the fence rows on their place. No special care was ever given to them. They grew and spread on their own... right among the Bermuda, Johnson and other grasses. He says that noone ever pulled or dug them up. Instead, he or his mother would simply gather a handfull of the green tops together and cut them off even with the ground surface. And he insists that these were not just a "regular" garden variety onion.

At first, I told him that it sounded to me like the "wild" onions that infest our yards every spring and fall. But daddy quickly assured me that these "Sallet" onions and the "wild" onions were not one in the same. Here, the "wild" onions to which I refer stand about 4"-5" tall, and have an EXTREMELY pungent odor about them; especially when cut or mashed. And even if you could get past their breathtaking, overpowering taste, you'd get one-heck-of-a bellyache if you ate them!

According to daddy, the "Sallet" onions only grew about 6"-7" tall and had an extremely mild flavor. Once, his boyish curiosity got the best of him and he pulled up a couple of the adult onions. He said that the bulbs were no bigger around than the size of the stem at ground level. He also says that they almost exclusively ate them with their "sallet" (turnip greens, mustard greens, and so on) and figured that this was the reason that his dad always referred to them as "Sallet" onions. One time, he ask his dad what kind of onions they were, and his father replied, "Their Sallet onions... that's all I know."

I don't know if this rings a bell with any of you, but if it does and you have some light to shed as to the kind of oinion that this may have been and where I might obtain some (for growing), I would greatly appreciate it. Dad's not in the best of health, and I'd sure like to find him some of his "Sallet" onions while he can still enjoy them.

Thanks in advance for any help that you might be able to lend.

Robert

Comments (6)

• cottonpicker
    18 years ago

I DO understand what your Dad refers to when he mentions "sallet". I grew up in OK eating "poke sallet"
    with my grandparents who were from WVa & KY. Not sure but I THINK your Dad is referring to what is now known as Potato Onions. You may get other answers here on Garden Web from someone who knows EXACTLY what it is since I'm only guessing. Potato onions form a small multiplying bulb that keeps producing year after year I believe. Never grew them myself but DO know they're available.
    LD

• mistercross
    18 years ago

I think this is the best forum, however there is also an Allium Forum if you don't get an answer here.

• paquebot
    18 years ago

If we knew how they multiplied, that would be a help in determining the variety, if it's truly wild. Also, size of the mature plant would be helpful. The two main types of propagation is via seeds or topset bulbils. There are very few which do not produce one or another and the main exception would probably not have been growing in TN until very recently. It's possible that it was merely one of the common "tree" onions; Egyptian or Catawissa. If those are allowed to multiply on their own, they will become quite thick and seldom get very large. If cut back, they would become even thicker and never reach maturity. Both would have fairly mild early leaves as described.

Martin

• beebiz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for your replies here and for the ones who have sent me personal emails.

Paquebot, the onions were NOT wild onions. They were brought to this place by my father's father and had been passed down to him from his father. As for propagation of the onions, my dad says that they would form what he called bloom or seed pods at the tops of the plants. If left alone, they would rupture and re-seed themselves. As for the mature size, as I said in the original post, dad said that they were about 6'-7" tall and the bulbs never got much, if any bigger around than the part of the plant that was at ground level (about the size of a pencil or so).

After further discussion with my mother and father, I did some research based on information that others have given me. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that the onions must be an heirloom mulitplying "bunch" onion. After looking at pictures and reading lots and lots of descriptions, I called my parents back and got them to describe the onions to me as best they could. Based on what I saw and read, mom & dad described the "bunch" onions to a perfect tee!!

So, if anyone knows of a reliable source for good heirloom multiplying "bunch" onions, I would appreciate it if you would let me know. When I find some, I'll plant them out and let dad decide if I have found his "Sallet" onions or not!!

Thanks again for all of the information.

Robert

• gardenlad
    18 years ago

In the Middle Ground (essentially KY & TN, but includes other parts of the western slope of the Alleghenies), potato onions were the traditional choice. Known variously as potato onions, ground onions, sallat onions, winter onions, and hill onions, these are likely what your dad grew.

They are bulbing multipliers which, in the spring, would not show much more diameter than the stems because the bulbs wouldn't have developed yet. Grown as a perrenial, as he apparantly did, the general size of the bulbs would be smaller as well.

I'm concerned, though, about the reported 6-7" height, as that's rather short. Most potato onions grow considerably taller. Gary Millwood's Potato Onion, for instance, a Kentucky family heirloom, grows about 18-20".

But the short plants, too, might be a result of growing them as a perennial bunching onion.

Potato Onions, at one time, were available in several colors, including yellow (the most common), brown, white, and even red. The brown and reds are all but impossible to find, of late. And the whites aren't all that common either.

There have been several discussions about potato onions (as well as other multipliers, both bulbing and top-setting) over at the alliums forum, and that might be a logical place to take this question.

• beebiz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the information GardenLad. I've reposted this question in the Alliums forum.

Robert

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH