Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mr_grizzly

Looking for Melon

mr_grizzly
15 years ago

15 years ago I tasted a musk melon at the local farmers market, it was the most delicious melon ever! The grower always said they were Hebrew melons. Since the grower died 10 years ago I have been looking for these melons, but have not been able to find them. Does aynone here know where I can find these super-sweet and creamy orange melons, or an alternate name? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-Colby

Comments (4)

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

There are a number of Israeli melons, the first to appear were Old Israeli and Haogen. Today there are a number of melons classed as Galia melons ( Hybrids which originated in Israel) They are the most part green fleshed or cream fleshed, however.
    {{gwi:90670}}

There are a number of vendors that sell them. Old Israeli and Israel(Haogen) are availble from Willhite (www.willhiteseed.com)

• mr_grizzly
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info. THe melon I'm looking for looks a lot like the one in the picture, but with a darker rind, and had a dark orange flesh. The few times I've read about the Israeli strians they have had green flesh. Are there both green and orange varieties?

-Colby

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

I don't know of any orange ones, They usually have pale green, cream or close to white flesh.

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

Typical flesh colors of Israeli type melons.
    {{gwi:60460}}
    {{gwi:878893}}
    {{gwi:878894}}
    {{gwi:878896}}

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting