Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sqftgarden_in_wnc

Watermelon radish- heirloom or hybrid?

sqftgarden_in_wnc
17 years ago

Is the watermelon radish an heirloom or hybrid?

Comments (12)

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

I'm not familiar with this one, at least not under that name. What was your reference for it?

If you saw it in a catalog, it should be identified if it's a hybrid.

FWIW, incididentaly, the differentiation is hybrid vs. open pollinated. Heirlooms are a subclass of OPs, basically being open pollinated plants with a lot of time in grade. Fifty years is the usual figure used.

I mention this because there are a lot of great-tasting open pollinated veggies that have not, as yet, reached heirlooms status but which are well worth growing.

• sqftgarden_in_wnc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Saw it on Ebay. I'll do more research after the Xmas crunch. Thanks for the info about OP.

• npthaskell
    17 years ago

You may wish to also ask in the "asian vegetables" forum at gardenweb. These are Chinese radishes. They only form large roots if they are sown in the Fall; otherwise they quickly bolt (but bolting leaves, stems, flowers and young seed pods make good greens, for a radish)

Mantanghong and Red Sun are two F1 hybrids offered here
    http://www.agrohaitai.com/rootstem/radish/radish.htm

"Shinrimei" appears to be an open pollinated variety:
    http://evergreenseeds.stores.yahoo.net/

"Red Meat" appears to be an open pollinated variety from:
    http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_chinese_radish.html
    and several other sources such as Johnny's

I once got some "Misato Rose" from "www.thecooksgarden.com", but it appears to be no longer in their catalog.

• sqftgarden_in_wnc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'll have to check out that info and see if there's something I want to plant come spring. Guess it sounds too late for the ones I mentioned if I want the root and not just greens. I started some beets for greens, waiting and watching to see how they do.

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Hi Sqftgarden,
    There is a regular Watermelon aka Rose Heart radish. That is open pollinated. I've grown it a few times and it is very nice. I either bought my seeds from Pinetree or Baker Creek. Just recently I've seen hybrid varieties in other catalogs. I'm not sure why. I really haven't read the fine print. The OP is just fine, unless they are claiming better growth in hot weather or something.
    Remy

• npthaskell
    17 years ago

I wrote:

> These are Chinese radishes. They only form large roots
    > if they are sown in the Fall...

By the way, I do not mean to imply that all radishes originating from China have to be sown in the fall for good root production. Only that those radishes within the "watermelon" heritage have to be sown in the fall. Some others also have to be sown in the fall, but many Chinese (and Korean) radishes may be sown in spring or summer.

• jpinva
    17 years ago

It's in the 2007 Burpee's catalog as an heirloom from China, with a 60 day season. It's gorgeous. I was thinking about trying it this year. Does the long season mean that it's one of the aforementioned Chinese varieties that require fall planting (not mentioned in the catalog)?

• bluelytes
    17 years ago

I just bought a couple pkgs of this one. On the package it says, "....winter radish also known as Red Meat and Continental Fancy". There is no mention on the pkg, or in the descriptions that says its hybrid, heirloom, or OP. This company normally lists "hybrid" as such on the packaging. So, my guess is that its NOT a hybrid.

Regards;
    bluelytes

PS Any traders??

• bluelytes
    17 years ago

I just heard back from my seed supplier, Ed Hume Seeds, and they said, re: waatermelon radish:
    "hello, it is an open pollinated fall type radish that is bigger and slower to mature than standard forcing types, thanks, Joe"

Hope this helps.

Regards;
    bluelytes

• sqftgarden_in_wnc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the help!

• Melchat_sbcglobal_net
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info. I just saw one sliced by a TV chef,
    the first time I had heard of it. Too bad it is almost
    spring. I suppose it wouldn't do anything except maybe
    grow some greens. I might try it anyway. With the strange endless weeks in the 40's, who knows what might develop? Global warming along the Gulf Coast, I suppose.

Somewhere along the line I missed what "OP means in the
    plant description. Can you help?
    Thanks. -- Mel

• tomakers
    17 years ago

I guess I just saw the same show. Iron Chef secret ingredient fennel. The "watermelon radish" they used was beautiful. I am definitely getting some. I know I already had them marked off in one of my catalogs. I think it was Fedco. Pretty sure it is an OP.