Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lokajo

German Johnson

lokajo
15 years ago

A few years back I read about a line of German Johnson tomatoes that had been selected for smooth fruit for a period of years. I am a commercial gardener and usually grow 300 or so German Johnsons for a niche market. They are rough but very tasty. I have lost the information on that seed line and wonder if some one is familiar with it

thanks

Comments (2)

• Macmex
    15 years ago

Well, looking in the 2007 Seed Savers Exchange winter year book I read:

1) This variety originated Old Salem, NC
    2) Those who grow it rate it highly for production & flavor
    3) It is believed to be one of the four parent varieties used in developing Mortgage Lifter.

I recognize four of the seven parties listing it as being quite knowledgeable about tomatoes. So I'd reckon that their evaluations are accurate.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• fusion_power
    15 years ago

German Johnson is a relatively bland but productive large beefsteak type tomato with some lumpiness to the lobes. Keyword in that description is 'bland'. It is a big seller in the Carolinas, but for the life of me, I don't understand why. There are both regular leaf and potato leaf versions available.

Give an opportunity, I would grow Druzba before German Johnson. It is a far better tomato taste-wise and production is excellent.

DarJones

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!