Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buckster_gw

Best Heirloom seed company....

buckster
15 years ago

Hello to all,

I'm haveing a heck of a time finding a good heirloom seed company for cut flowers and Veg. seeds.

I have used johnny and native seed, but I can't find all I want.

Know of any others for the hot and dry southwest?

Thanks a ton, Bucky

Comments (10)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

You may want to try Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. I have not ordered from them yet, but they have a good reputation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Exposure Seed Exchange

• Macmex
    15 years ago

Also try Sandhill Preservation Center. They have a wide variety.

Do a google search for Baker Creek Heirlooms. That seems to be a good company as well.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Sandhill Preservation Center

• stargazer_1118
    15 years ago

Baker Creek is Awesome! I have done business with them for quite a while.

• sandie329
    15 years ago

I've been buying from Bakers Creek for the past several years. I've not had any problems with them or their seeds. They have a great variety but you need to order now, I just received mine and some of the vegetables and flowers I wanted were sold out already.

• txaggiegirl
    15 years ago

I order my heirloom from Seed Savers Exchange. They are prompt and accurate on every purchase from them. They also give us all an opportunity to help support our heirloom and heritage legacy. This is a LOT more than just another nursery purchase.

• lovetotweet
    15 years ago

Some others I haven't seen mentioned yet...

Seeds of Change (I've used them for years and they have great quality...not to mention a great premise and they have lots of heirlooms)

Select Seeds (first year using them, but they've got a great selection of heirlooms)

Territorial Seed Company (lots of OP and heirlooms - well-respected company out of Oregon)

Have fun!
    Ada

• ncdirtdigger
    15 years ago

you might try diane's seeds

Here is a link that might be useful: Diane's seeds

• eaglesgarden
    15 years ago

I really like Heirloom seeds...not a great website (visually), but they send you free seeds to try, based on the ones you order.

I got free tomato (Pink Oxheart), pumpkin (Jack O'Lantern), squash (Black Acorn), and lettuce (Bibb). I had ordered 4 different toms, 2 pumpkins, 2 squash and 2 lettuce.

It's obvious that they personalized the free seeds to my interests. Some companies just send extras of whatever they happen to have, but heirloom actually made sure I was interested in the types of seeds they sent for free.

Do your research elsewhere, but buy your seeds from heirloom. They don't offer pictures, but their descriptions are dead on with the descriptions of their plants elsewhere, and they offer a good deal of seeds for very low prices. 25 tomato seeds for under $2.00 Almost everything is under $2.00 except certified organics.

• indy76km
    15 years ago

I ordered my seeds from Victory Seeds. This is my first year ordering from them but so far it has been a good experience. I got them about 10 days after ordering them and they came nicely packaged with a thank you note signed by an actual person not just printed off the computer. They have a very nice selection of many types of veggies. Their prices are also under $2 a pkg for most selections.

Here is a link that might be useful: Victory Seeds

• gabby308
    15 years ago

I also use Territorial Seed and I've seen that Seed Savers Exchange has a good selection. Look at Totally Tomatoes also..I've always had success with them; but use "heirloom" in the search box.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living