Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brightmeadow1

Duane Baptiste Potato Bean - looking for

brightmeadow
12 years ago

Hello Everyone:

It seems that the heirloom bean, Duane Baptiste Potato bean, has become extremely rare. I found a listing for it in a 2010 American on-line catalogue but they have not replied to my enquiry about it.

Someone on one of our forums was looking for it in 2008 but no one replied to the post.

If anyone has this bean to share/trade or knows of a seed catalogue that will ship to Canada that has it, please let me know.

Brightmeadow

Comments (2)

• vgary
    12 years ago

Brightmeadow, I did a short search and found these Links. Hope you are able to find it with Seed Of Diversity. If not check with the other Links I have listed.
    Gary

Duane baptiste potato - Seeds of Diversity
    seeds. The Bean is listed as available.
    ca/hpd/cvdetail.php?species=Bean...Duane+baptiste+potato
    5+ items �" Bean : Duane baptiste potato ... White, kidney shaped seed. ...

1999 Duane baptiste potato: [Bush, Dry] White, kidney-shaped seed. Hardy ...

2000 Duane baptiste potato: [Bush] Same as above

I have not checked any of the following seed sources.

Duane Baptiste Potato Bean B white bean native to the region grown for drying
    Eastern Native Seed Conservancy, P.O. Box 451 - Great Barrington, MA 01230 413-229-8316,
    www.enscseeds.org

Old Sturbridge Village Seed Store, 1 Old Sturbridge Village Rd. - Sturbridge, MA
    01566 508-347-0270,
    www.osvgifts.org Plimoth Plantation,

Plimoth Plantation Museum Shops, P.O. Box 1620 - Plymouth, MA 02360 800-262-9356 x 8332, www.plimoth.org Ron

• brightmeadow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your information Ron.

I had contacted the Seeds of Diversity member who had it listed a few years ago and she no longer has it. Eastern Native Seed Conservancy no longer sells seeds and I can't see any seeds for sale at plimoth.org.

However, I have since found the seeds at:
    http://www.synergyseeds.com/ George has many interesting and rare heritage seeds so I have ordered more than just this bean from him. From what I can tell, this catalogue is the only one offering this heirloom bean and I have found some articles claiming that it is extinct. It is so exciting to find it!

Brightmeadow

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022