Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackierat

anyone know this pea?

BlackieRat
11 years ago

I found some seed peas in the back of my mother's fridge, that she says are from her grandmother's garden. Mom calls them 'rice peas.' They are quite small (1/4 inch), almost round, light tan with a miniscule dark 'eye'. It almost looks like a miniature blackeyed pea. Does anyone know this pea? I am assuming it is some kind of heirloom, and I'm hoping I can grow it in Tucson, if any of the seeds are still viable. My gread-grandmother was growing them in Alabama.

Comments (3)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

I don't grow them but is this the one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rice Pea

• BlackieRat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes! That's the one, and it does sound like it will do well. Thanks for your help. I remember my grandmother talking about 'lady-finger peas' which is yet another name for this little guy. Now, if any of my seeds have survived three and a half generations in the fridge, I should be set!

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

Peas are usually pretty difficult to grow after 10 years storage. I would suggest starting them in cell trays where you can control the moisture and growing medium. If any sprout, then set them out in the garden and give them normal care.

Cowpeas are among the most heat tolerant plants on earth, they are happiest at 90 to 100 degrees. Other heat lovers are Okra, Watermelon, and Sweet Potato.

DarJones

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz