Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone know this pea?

Posted by BlackieRat none (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 15:22

I found some seed peas in the back of my mother's fridge, that she says are from her grandmother's garden. Mom calls them 'rice peas.' They are quite small (1/4 inch), almost round, light tan with a miniscule dark 'eye'. It almost looks like a miniature blackeyed pea. Does anyone know this pea? I am assuming it is some kind of heirloom, and I'm hoping I can grow it in Tucson, if any of the seeds are still viable. My gread-grandmother was growing them in Alabama.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone know this pea?

I don't grow them but is this the one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rice Pea

o

Yes! That's the one, and it does sound like it will do well. Thanks for your help. I remember my grandmother talking about 'lady-finger peas' which is yet another name for this little guy. Now, if any of my seeds have survived three and a half generations in the fridge, I should be set!

o

Peas are usually pretty difficult to grow after 10 years storage. I would suggest starting them in cell trays where you can control the moisture and growing medium. If any sprout, then set them out in the garden and give them normal care.

Cowpeas are among the most heat tolerant plants on earth, they are happiest at 90 to 100 degrees. Other heat lovers are Okra, Watermelon, and Sweet Potato.

DarJones

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here