Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winnjoe

'Buff Pie' spaghetti squash?

winnjoe
18 years ago

The book 'Heirloom Vegetables' by Sue Strickland mentions 'Buff Pie' as a type of spaghetti squash ('more interesting than regular spaghetti squash'). I can't find it anywhere as a variety of spaghetti squash. I contacted the fellow who had 'Warsaw Buff Pie' in last years SSE yearbook, but he says it is not spaghetti squash, and he chose the name because of the colour.

Anyone have any info on this? or is 'spaghetti squash' really the only 'variety' of spaghetti squash (if you know what I mean)? Joe

Comments (3)

• giardiniere
    18 years ago

There is a website called Seeds of Diversity, that list rare garden seeds. Granted, it is a Canadian site, but here is the URL:
    http://www.seeds.ca/hpd/cv.php?species=Squash&cultivar=Boston+Marrow

If you scroll down the left hand side to Buff Pie, it says the following...

Seed Availability:

STATUS DISTRIBUTION
    Rare Poor

Not currently propagated by Seeds of Diversity's seed-savers.
    Not known to have been sold commercially in North America for over 20 years.
    Not maintained by the Canadian gene bank.
    Maintained by the U.S. gene bank.

• hortist
    18 years ago

When I was in Florida last week I was seeing these small round spaghetti squashes. I hadnt seen these before. I wonder if that was similar? These markets had over-priced heirloom tomatoes too.

If you learn more please post it here. I have been crossing with spaghetti squash and others and would be interested in it as another kind of parent.

• breezynosacek
    17 years ago

Well, I don't know anything about buff pie, however, I did find out that I had gotten a spaghetti squash in my squash seed mix.

It isn't pale yellow either. It starts out looking like a pregnant zucchini and turns white.

I have the Garden Seed Inventory book from back in 1999 and it doesn't list "Buff Pie". However, here is the listing for Vegetable Spaghetti.

'ready to harvest when skin turns from cream to buff, keeps for 6 months.'

Those that carried it in 1999, Abbott & Cobb, Inc; Abundant Life Seed Foundation; Alberta Nurseries & Seeds, Ltd.;
    Johnny's Selected Seed there are about 50 suppliers of this seed.

Steph

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone