Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fredder_gw

Want to grow great heirloom veg.

fredder
15 years ago

Hello,

I'm in the hot dry desert of Southern California.

I have planted different things on and off for the past 12 years.

I wanted to get some ideas for really hardy and easy heirlooms that are good to eat.

Things like melons, garlic, greens, tomatoes, all the good vegs that are so good for you.

Also if you know of a good seed company too.

Thanks a lot for the help,

Fred

Comment (1)

• tumblingtomatoes
    15 years ago

We are gardening for the first time really, so I don't know about your area because we live in Florida but some nice people here at gardenweb have given us names of some seed co. they think are good to order from. The companies recommended to us are: Sandhill Preservation Center, Victory seeds, Baker Creek (rareseeds.com),Seed savers Exchange, Mariseeds.com. I can say that I have ordered twice from Dianeseeds.com (Diane's flower seeds) & got heirloom veggies for good prices, quick service too. We are growing lettuces, tomatoes & eggplants mainly but are hoping to add melons, beans, cukes soon. Diane is very nice & includes a freebie pkt of seeds with every order & so does baker creek heirloom seeds (rareseeds.com)
    Oh, also for tomato seeds you can try wintersown.org for open pollinated tomato seeds, several varieties. Trudi (she runs it) is nice. She will send you (you choose from a list she posts on her site), 6 varieties of tomatoes when you send her a two-stamped sase. She will send you your choices in small sample sized pkts. Also she throws in some other seeds too, she gave me flowers, lettuce & peppers & beans. On her site, go to the free seeds/gateway to the seeds section for the current list of choices. :) Her tomato seeds are now also growing nicely in our little garden along with some from Diane's flower seeds.
    Good luck & happy gardening.