Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
br33_gw

lacewings and Hoover flies

br33
16 years ago

I`m having BIG-BIG trouble with white flies in my garden. I hear Green lacewings and Hoover flies will control them. Please tell me if you have had any luck with them and how do you get them to stay in your garden. I can order green lacewings from catolog,but now do you get hoover flies. I know plants attract them, which ones and where do you plant them. H E L P -- P L E A S E. Thanks Bill

Comment (1)

• cambse
    16 years ago

The hoover fly (syrphid fly) is attracted to flowers. The adults mostly eat pollen and nectar. Some flowers that are especially attractive include wild carrot or Queen AnneÂs lace, wild mustard, sweet alyssum, coriander, dill and other small flowered herbs. Another name for the hoover fly is flower fly or hover fly. It is the larva of the hoover fly that will feed on the larva of the white flies. They also feed on aphids, thrips and other small insects. I don't know anywhere to buy them, perhaps someone else does. I have included a link to a very helpful post on Gardenweb on controlling white flies.

Hope this helps,
    Carole

Here is a link that might be useful: Controlling White Flies

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner