Houzz Logo Print
mikeybob_gw

WANTED: Hellebore(s) with Great Foliage

mikeybob
19 years ago

I bought some hellebores and one of them has new foliage

which I especially like ... I'd like to have another like this:

{{gwi:872332}}

If anybody has a plant like this I would trade for a division ...

or I would be interested in other unique/attractive hellebores ...

I have several things I could offer in trade:

other hellebores, ginseng, tiarella, veronica ...

Comments (6)

• claysoil
    19 years ago

Mikey, Was this guy labeled? I started seeds from Elizabeth Town for the first time this Feb. They sent me a generous packet of bonus seeds. Some of the seedlings look similar to this.

• mikeybob
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi claysoil, this is one of the Pine Knot Farms strain. I bought a flat of them. This was the only one in the flat that had this foliage coloration/pattern. But I noticed other plants like it in other flats scattered throughout the greenhouse.

I don't have any Elizabeth Town strain.

I have what IMHO is a nice purple ... I will post a picture of it in the gallery here. And I have a dark red that I like, it looks like a rose in bud, but the flowers face down. Also, I just received a couple of Graham Birkin's "Quilty" strain and one was big enough to divide so I have an extra. And I bought an Ashwood Picotee which I divided, but I haven't seen it flower and to be honest I think they had been picked over last spring. And I bought a couple of the Pine Knot Farm's "variegated strain" and would trade one.

• claysoil
    19 years ago

Best to wait and see what mine settle down to. The oldest leaves are dark green. This lighter variation with veining may just be a growing phase. I'm relatively new to hellebores, but I can see that although not as pronounced, the new leaves on my older plants are also lighter with veining.

• mikeybob
    Original Author
    19 years ago

OK then maybe we'll make a trade someday.

From what I've heard, I expect the leaves to turn dark green as they mature. What I don't understand is whether the mature plant will still have new foliage like it does now. That would be nice. At any rate I intend to cross it with some plants I have that are Pine Knot Farm's variegated strain and see where that might lead.

• lgkovalcik
    19 years ago

Hey Mikey,

The weather here finally cleared enough yesterday to go out and have a good look, and sure enough, some of the new foliage on my hellebores is wonderful - all sorts of different looks! I took photos, and will send them as soon as I get the photo software on my computer working again.

Thanks for prompting me to notice.

Laura

• mikeybob
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Now the one I have pictured has sent up a new leaf and its just solid green.

Hey Laura, I sent you an email regarding a trade.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting