Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dickw_gw

Thinking of Hellebores

DickW
19 years ago

I can see from the many zones represented that Hellebores would certainly grow in mine (6 - WV Eastern Panhandle). My first question is whether it is invasive. We already have a problem in some WV areas with the "Burning Bush" popping up everywhere. Anyone in my area with Hellebores email me about them if you'd like. DW

Comments (9)

• jgwoodard
    19 years ago

it is nothing like the euonymus alata, which is I think the burning bush you are referring to. This plant is mainly herbaceous, and though liberal with seed, it takes years to mature and doesn't spread around so much. You can expect that in a decade or so you will have a little colony developing around the parent plant but not often far from it. It behaves well in general. The only one I would consider remotely aggressive in your zone would be H. foetidus, though it is not as long lived and behaves almost like a biennial. If you are familiar with plants like golden seal or baneberry or black cohosh, then you will get an idea of how this one behaves. It is very "native" in demeanor. And if grown in deep shade, it will spread like molasses.

• claysoil
    19 years ago

Nope, not invasive and once you get a couple of plants you may wish that it spread more quickly than it does. You are looking at 3 years until first bloom, mine were 5 before I was really able to get seeds from them. Take the plunge and enjoy!

• DickW
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks. Sounds like they are more suitable for hillside/shade plantings. I'll have to see what the local nurseries offer.

• claysoil
    19 years ago

Hmm, many say they are shade tolerant, not must have shade. They ARE usually used as woodland plants it seems, but I keep seeing statements that they do not have to have full shade to flourish. For most types, a place where they will receive sun when the trees drop their leaves or filtered sun is best. Some kinds, like my atrorubens, get afternoon sun full blast and flourish. You could run to Elizabeth Town's site and see that they have at least one type they promote as growing in full sun. Is it Sunshine Farms that is in eastern WV? Depending on how far east you are in the panhandle, you may be close enough for a visit. If so, I'll be jealous.

• Greenmanplants
    19 years ago

They like sun for part of the day and will take quite a bit of dappled shade, they will grow weak in heavy shade and become less floriferous. With ample moisture to the root they will take more sun but they do not liked to be baked or waterlogged, especially not waterlogged. A good rich deep root run is best. They like a little lime but are fine without.

They are addictive and you cannot have too many, once you have 5 you will want 10!

Have fun, Cheers Greenmanplants

• DickW
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Floriferous - I like that. Have to check out Sunshine Farms, doesn't sound familiar. As for the shade, they would receive much dappled sun as do the many Mountain Laurel on my lot. Thanks for the advice.

• claysoil
    19 years ago

Here you go, happy site seeing.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunshine Farm

• rainshine
    18 years ago

Are there any Hellebores that bloom in year one in deep shade?

• jgwoodard
    18 years ago

Hi rainshine,

If you are referring to plants from seed, it would be virtually impossible. If actively grown in ideal conditions, plants like H. lividus and H x ballardiae might bloom their first year, but most other plants will bloom 2 -4 years after germination.

Also, deep shade certainly contributes to far slower growth. If it is deciduous shade, plants develop fairly well. I have some species that are over five years old in deep shade that produce only one or two leaves. Other similar plants that are much younger and in sun or dappled shade are far more robust and have outgrown those in deep shade, despite being half the age or less.

Sponsored