Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing season for hellebores?

Posted by graywings 7MD (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 4, 11 at 9:29

I planted several very young hellebores in October, and the top growth on all of them is pretty much dead after an unusually cold December. The seller has assured me they will come back in the Spring. It makes sense.

What I can't figure out is why my mature hellebore is not on that same schedule. It flowered beautifully last spring, then started new growth in the late summer. That new growth is doing fine through this cold weather, and I assume it will bloom on schedule.

My question is: what growing schedule will my baby plants be on when they mature? Do different species of hellebores put out new growth at different times? The babies are Helleborus x hybridus 'Sunshine Selections.' The mature one came with the house. Here is a photo of it in bloom:
Hellebore

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing season for hellebores?

Yes, different hellebore species can produce growth at different times. But this is not what you are seeing :-) Your hellebores (according to the photo and your description) are ALL x hybridus -- the difference in growth patterns is most likely due to the age difference and maybe also to planting times.

Helleborus x hybridus will typically start producing new foliar growth in late winter/early spring, around the same time it flowers (just slightly later). Many hellebore gardeners remove the old season foliage just before flowering because a) it looks pretty ratty, b) can harbor fungal diseases, and c) allows the flowers to be seen unobscured. However, the plant can produce new leaf growth at any time - often you will see this happening in fall in response to cooler temps. You will often see some sporadic flowering at this time also. I'd guess the young plants experienced more damage simply because of their tender age AND more tender foliage:-) Who knows - they might even have been greenhouse grown! They'll toughen up after a season or two in the garden.

o
RE: Growing season for hellebores?

Thanks, that's good to hear. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the Spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here