Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gonegardening

Pine Knot Farm Presentation at LG last Sat.

gonegardening
18 years ago

Hello: Just wanted to say that I attended the presentation last Sat at Lewis Ginter (Richmond, VA) and it was fabulous! The Tylers know their stuff! If you have a chance to hear them, by all means, go! Their slides were terrific and I came out enthused (which is how you like to leave plant lectures!). So enthused, in fact, that I made a trip to the Great Big Greenhouse to purchase a beautiful Pine Knot Strain pink hellebore!

It's blooming as well as white with maroon spreckles (already in my garden) and a deep maroon one (ditto). The blooms are so welcome this time of year!

Comments (13)

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Great Big Greenhouse would be Pine Knot's greenhouse?
    How was it? Are there a lot of things in bloom?

• gonegardening
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No...Great Big Greenhouse is a nursery in Richmond (VA). The Tylers had delivered some the night before the lecture to the GBG. I had hoped they would bring some with them to the lecture...and when I asked, they told me about the delivery.

They will be having two open weekends. I think one around the end of Feb and one in early March. Check their website for better info and great pictures!

Thanks for your reply!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pine Knot Farms

• geoforce
    18 years ago

I heard the Tylers give a talk at Winterthur Garden Days in Delaware last summer. I also purchased some plants at their booth there. Their open garden days this year sound very interesting, and my wife and I have already marked our calendar for them.

George

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

That does look interesting.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

I plugged it into Mapquest and it would be over 8 hour drive one way. Too bad!

• gonegardening
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, hi everyone!

Winterthur! Lucky you! Unfortunately, my one trip (so far) that way I missed Winterthur as we discovered it was closed on Sunday...the day we had set aside for it. Oh well. Another time! Do you attend their plant sales?

If I am not working (unlikely, I usually work weekends and business will begin to pick up around then), I, too, would like to make the trek to Pine Knot's open weekends.

If you go, please take some pictures and post them for us!

One of the magazines out now (I forget exactly which one) has an article on Barry Glick of Sunshine Farms in it. Anybody see that?

• geoforce
    18 years ago

Haven't seen the article about Barry, but the latest "Horticulture" has an article on dividing H. X Hybridis (Lenten Rose) plants.

George

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Today's the day...wish I was there.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Did no one go to the Pine Knot openhouse?

• fis5her
    18 years ago

I must not be doing something right. I bought a nice one last year at Winterthur and the nicest lady there gave my wife and I 2 free ones, one for each or our sons. I planted them when we got home. They aren't doing anything and look weak. The two existing ones I have, have only put out like 3 blooms each over the past two years but don't seem to be getting any bigger.

• mikeybob
    18 years ago

I am finding that in some spots in my yard the hellebores grow well, and in other spots they "don't do anything and look weak" like you describe. I think it may be the soil ph. I tried adding wood ashes to one area a few times this winter, and it's to early to say ... but I see new growth and I think the plants may be perking up.

Maybe you could pot one up, or divide one and pot up part of it, and see how well it grows in good potting soil.

• geoforce
    18 years ago

Yep, I was at 'Pine Knot" the minute they opened on Sat. Feb. 25. Saw many wonderful doubles and others in the gardens in full bloom, and Dick and Judith were wonderful hosts.

Bought 10 plants and would have got more but the mad rush got many of the ones I loved before my paws reached them. Aimed for a nice yellow double, but not fast enough, and settled for a very nice, though small, pink one. Got a couple of large yellow singles ,on the creamy side, one spotted and one not, a star shape basically a dark maroon with lighter edge (really ovrlapping dots but gives a reverse picotee effect), and a small flowered one with the most beautiful leaves, very finely toothed and red tinted. Also 2 nice H. foetidus varieties in 4" pots, and 3 from the bargain table, (5" in bloom at $6.00).

Took lots of photos, but haven't got them downloaded from the camera yet. My wife, an artist, took about 100 shots of the garden and about 200 more of old tobacco sheds and falling-down log cabins we passed in route. Took 2 hours to get back down to Hwy 85 as we stopped so many times.

George

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

I figured it would be competitive. Still it must have been a great day and I would love to see your pics.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio