Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grocery store buy

Posted by smdmt z5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 11:10

I just bought a 'Jacob' hellebore in a pot at the grocery store. I would like to plant it in my garden. Today it is 23 degrees and snowing. When the weather breaks and it is above freezing ( and I can work the soil), can I transplant it? It is in my unheated garage where it can get good light and not freeze. Does the plant need to be acclimated to the outdoors?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grocery store buy

No advice, as I'm kind of in the same "boat", having bought a 'Cinnamon Snow' at a grocery store. I say "kind of" because I don't have a garage or an enclosed porch or an unheated basement.

I'll be watching. Hope you get some help.
Molie

o

Is the plant in leaf and or bud? If so it may well have come from a greenhouse in which case it will definitely need hardening off and planting at a more gentle time. I've never experienced that kind of cold nor bought a Hellebore so I can't really help much further.

Mine are all pass alongs or seedlings and are beginning to show some buds just now.

o

Thanks 'floral'. The plant has beautiful flowers and buds. I do now plan to keep it in the garage until more moderate weather. Today it is in the 50s. That's the Rocky Mountains for you!

o

It will still need a lot of light, though. Will it get it in your garage? You could stand it outside in the day time to start toughening it up a bit. I have just looked up Jacob and see it is a Helleborus niger cultivar, so a bit more finicky that the H orientalis hybrids I grow. I suggest you do a little research as H niger can prove a challenge. The link suggests Jacob may be dubiously hardy in z5 and would not normally be in flower there in January.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jacob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here