Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Okay to move seedlings?

Posted by scottonriver GA (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 13, 09 at 12:41

I have numerous seedlings very close to the mature plant. They are at least six months old now. Can I move them? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Okay to move seedlings?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 14, 09 at 11:52

Yes, you can. If you have hard enough freezes there that you might experience frost heave, you may want to wait til danger of that is past. And another thought I keep passing on that may not apply to your garden, my soil isn't frozen but it's saturated with winter preciptition...in a word - soggy. Spading it right now would greatly impact the soil structure - anything involving digging has to wait.

o
RE: Okay to move seedlings?

I'll second morz8's comments and add that I'd be careful about not overly disturbing the root system of the mother plant when you do transplant the seedlings. I'm not sure of anyone else's experience, but in mine, hellebores resent messing about with their root systems. This is how they have developed the reputation of being fussy about transplanting. Not true if you are careful to take a large rootball with plenty of soil surrounding it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here