Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seniorballoon

Lenten Rose, Orientalis, Nigercors, Ericsmithii oh my

SeniorBalloon
19 years ago

Does anyone have a source, a chart or an article that explains the different strains and the naming of hellebores? I was thinking a pedigree of sorts. Such and such comes from the wild and this was crossed with x to get y which was then crossed with z...

Thanks,

jb

Comments (6)

• mikeybob
    19 years ago

I've seen a couple of good sites online ... the one I can think of at the moment is hellebore.com

Here is a link that might be useful: hellebore.com

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    19 years ago

JB, the info provided on hellebore.com is an abbreviated version of the book Graham Rice wrote with Elizabeth Strangman, The Gardener's Guide to Growing Hellebores, one of a series published by our own local Timber Press. Not the be-all and end-all of hellebore references but a pretty decent monograph on the subject and not overly expensive.

Or if you feel like taking drive into town from Duvall, I'm giving a presentation on them next week that you are welcome to attend :-))

• SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    19 years ago

In the description of the Helleborus x ericsmithii Heronswood Form (at heronswood.com), they mentioned that it was a cross between a Heleborus niger and an x sternii. That is what stirred my curiosity. I see from reading hellebore.com and here that an x sternii is produced by crossing a lividus with an argutifolius.

Then I ran across this statement from BruceNH, "The caulescent species of hellebore, argutifolius, foetidus and lividus, will produce plants like theirselves if pollinated with the same species. Argutifolius will hybridize with lividus producing a hybrid called Helleborus x sternii. Argutifolius does not readily cross with H. foetidus or H.lividus."

I don't follow the last sentence. It says that an x sternii is produced when crossing Argutifolius with lividus, but then goes onto say that, "Argutifolius does not readily cross with H. foetidus or H.lividus". Does the H signify other lividus hybrids and not the original species variety?

The other question I have is what does "nigercors" refer to?

GG, Where and when are you doing your talk? I am guessing Box Hill Nursery, no?

Thanks,
    jb

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    19 years ago

I'm not certain I'd agree with that statement as botantists have often considered argutifolius and lividus as variants of the same species - they certainly cross easily enough. I have yet to hear of an argutifolius-foetidus cross, but it seems like all things are possible given enough time and experimentation. "Nigercors" refers to a hybrid between H. niger and argutifolius, argutifolius commonly referred to as Corsican hellebore and formerly known as H. corsicus.

My presentation is at the Phinney Community Center in the heart of Seattle next Thursday evening. If you come, be sure to introduce yourself!

• SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ah, I misunderstood and thought you were presenting in downtown Duvall. During the week I don't usually head into the "City". But if I do I will deffinitely inroduce myself.

jb

• Greenmanplants
    19 years ago

Wish I was in town, I'd come along myself!

Hope it goes well, Greenmanplants

Bruce made a mistake above with argutifolius and lividus, it's one of the best crosses, and the results are fertile giving ongoing breeding possibilities.

Sponsored