Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holes on hellebore

Posted by KSimS 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 23, 12 at 14:06

I planted three hellebore bare-roots this past fall. One of them looks awesome and has two buds already formed. However, the bottom leaf has a couple small holes in it. One of the other plants looks weird and has some holes. Any ideas what this might be? If so, what do I do to help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holes on hellebore

• Posted by mlb86 6B NE TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 25, 12 at 15:20

Slugs and snails are most likely to blame. There are are slug pellets on the market but they have to be reapplied after every rain. In some parts of the country weevils sometimes damage hellebores but they usually attack the outer edge of the leaf. I'm not positive but I think the weevils are mainly a problem in warmer weather. Good luck.

o

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!

o

I try to be careful and sprinkle out iron phosphate pellets regularly around my hellebores. The slugs come out even in winter and eat the tender buds. They start to really multiply beginning in spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here