Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karan_in_oregon

Blackening leaves

Renter
20 years ago

Some of my hellebore seedlings have black leaves. I have removed them, but don't know if this is a virus or a fungus or if it is okay. It has been wet here and there has been no sun where they are. The seedlings are about three years old and in one 3 gallon container. Thank you for any help.

Comments (7)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    20 years ago

IME, container grown plants experience more problems with leaf spot and other fungal problems than do those in the ground. Potting soil tends to hold in more moisture than garden soil and it is easy to develop rots - we see it all the time in the nursery. Specially if they are all planted in the same large pot - all the extra soil holds a lot of water. And these plants really do enjoy more sun than many folks think. Too moisture retentive a soil and not enough light can be a real problem - that is an environment fungal problems thrive on. Try smaller, individual pots with a fast draining soil (add lots of sand, pumince or limestone grit to the mix), and make sure they have sufficient light (not full shade) and some protection from the worst of the PNW winter rains.

• traveldepoe
    20 years ago

I've got 10 gorgeous helebores from last Feb.'s Heronswood open house; they are in the ground, not containers, and just starting to come up with that same black spot going on with the leaves and the flowers-yes they are coming up as we speak!
    what do you suggest?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    20 years ago

On the x hybridus forms, now is when you remove last year's foliage. As soon as you see the flower buds pushing through the soil surface, cut back the old foliage at the ground and remove and destroy. The flowers, followed by new foliage, should emerge fully, unaffected by any fungal leaf spot or botrytis. Mulching the crown of the plant with limestone grit or other coarse grit should help to deter further problems and can help to adjust soil pH.

If you have waited too long and the flowers and new leaves have already emerged and are spotted, dusting with sulfur powder can help retard the spread of the problem. I would attempt to remove affected flowers as soon as possible after flowering and the worst of the affected leaves.

• Renter
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thank you for the answers. I will cut back the old foliage and see if that helps. I can't plant in the ground at this time - I am moving in a month or two so everything is in containers. I think the dampness is a lot of the problem, and we have had rain so things are pretty damp. Karan

• woadwoman
    20 years ago

Dear Karan,

All I can offer is my sympathy and the hope that your plants do well. It has been a wet winter here in Oregon, hasn't it? Several of my hellebores have opened their flowers to reveal some fungal infection on the reproductive organs. Yikes!

I don't know where you are in Oregon, but if you're in the Portland area, it's possible you've got some blackened leaves from the very low temperatures earlier this month.

Good luck with your move!

Best,
    Elizabeth

• Renter
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hi - just thought I would update - all my seedlings are looking good, they were planted two years ago and the new growth looks so good and healthy - they look like they are finally taking off. One though has kind of grey green leaves that are like 'wings' and is taller than the others - it is getting new leaves that are the same form - any idea which Hellebore this might be? The seeds are Elizabeth Town seeds. Thank you, Karan

• Greenmanplants
    20 years ago

H.hybridus has a lot of mixed blood in it, that's why they changed from H. orientalis hybrids a few years ago. As with anything like that you'll occasionally get a throwback as two gene sets combine to give strong characteristics of something in their ancestry. You may also have a sport of something new and unusual so look after it and see whether it is specially vigerous free flowering etc.

Cheers Greenmanplants

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville