Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryneedssleep_gw

Jade Star Hellebore

maryneedssleep
14 years ago

I love the pictures of the Winter Jewels Jade Star hybrid hellebore on the Northwest Garden Nursery web page (link below). Anybody know of a mail-order or online retail source in the U.S.?

Googling has yielded several places selling others in the Winter Jewels line, but not that beautiful green one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Northwest Garden Nursery wholesale hellebores

Comments (9)

• georgia-rose
    14 years ago

Jade Star appears to be an attractive color and you wonder why no wholesale grower has them on their availability list?
    I checked my Helleborus sources and those growers listed by nwgardens (that have websites) and did not find it listed anywhere.
    Guess you will have to play the waiting game and see if someone will offer them for sale in the future.

The Double flowering Hellebores are the hot-button item these days, so it may be awhile before customers again discover the fabulous colors available in the single flowered ones!

• goswimmin
    14 years ago

Terra Nova Nursery has one called 'Jade Tiger' this year.
    http://www.terranovanurseries.com/r/pages/plants/helleborus-jade-tiger.php

• maryneedssleep
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, the Jade Tiger is the double and the Jade Star is the single. I guess I may end up trying the double. Thanks.

• maryneedssleep
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Doh! Looks as though Terra Nova is strictly wholesale and does not sell directly to home gardeners. Still looking for a source!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

I'd just look for green flowered forms when the hellebore hybrids hit your local nurseries :-) Unless you are looking for very specific flowering attributes, seed grown Helleborus x hybridus are just as nice and often offer the same wide range of flower coloring as the tissue cultured named cultivars. And at a far less expensive price. Otherwise you could look for H. foetidus or argutifolius, both of which produce green flowers but without the maroon speckling of 'Jade Star'.

• david_5311
    14 years ago

I was just out at NW Garden Nursery in Eugene and saw the stock plants of Jade Star and their other stock plant lines as well as the retail plants they had for sale. I bought a number of hybrids which I shipped back home, did not buy one of the Jade Star types but wish I had, though I have a number of plants I got from them 10 years ago which are basically like Jade Star. Unfortunately Jade Star does seem to be one of their seed strain lines that seems to be harder to find for retail AND wholesale buying. I do know that Spring Hill Nursery has Jade Star offered for retail sale, found it on line. I have no idea of the quality of their plants, though they will no doubt have gotten seedlings probably directly from NW Garden.

In contrast to what Pam said though (Hi Pam), this is *not* just a green hellebore hybrid. The plants have a substantial genetic background from the species H. torquatus. H. t. is one of the nicest hellebore specis IMO. The foliage is more divided than most H. hyrbridus, quite distingtive, and the plants energe with dark foliage. Some of them are quite heavily divided. The flowers are definitely smaller than H hybridus. The flowers are also more numerous and held in branched inflorescences, very appealing as garden plants IMO. The flowers are variable green streaked lightly or heaving with purple, some have a purlish picotee effect.

Jade Star has intermediate characteristics between torquatus and hybrids in the slate - purple color range. The flowers are larger than the species but smaller than most H hybridus. Plant Habit is very appealing and the foliage is distinctive, though any individual might be more like the species or like a hybrid slate-purple-green.

I am sure they are harder to find because the singles are not as "hot" as the doubles or anemone flowered plants, and because even for singles the flowers are smaller. It is like daylilies -- everybody wants big blowsy flowers, and misses the habit and appeal of plants with smaller less "showy" flowers. Jade star is one of those. Maria is working on getting more finely divided foliage into this group.

• david_5311
    14 years ago

I hit my "submit" button before I had a chance to edit the above, sorry folks, I suspect you can figure out what words are really intended. I am a fast but terrible 2 finger typist. One this I will correct is that "Maria" is wrong, the hybridizers and owners of NW Garden Nursery are Marietta and Ernie O'Byrne, who in the past 20 years have done really amazing things to develop the quality of available hellebores in North America. Anyone living even remotely close should go there, and I've been twice from afar (Michigan, alas still totally winter here). The plants rival those from the best hellebore nurseries in England, and indeed have been partly bred with stock from Ashwood, just as have those from Pine Knot nursery. David

• maryneedssleep
    Original Author
    14 years ago

David, thanks for the info!

For anyone interested, I just found an online source for the Jade Star. Spring Hill (link below) now has them. I have not bought from them before but I'll give them a try.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jade Star Hellebore at Spring Hill

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Thanks for the clarification, David! When you are just looking at photos, and not very large ones at that, it's hard to get the full effect and receiving the background info of the plant straight from the 'horse's mouth' doesn't hurt, either :-)

I am a sucker for greenish colored flowers and when combined with purple, even better! Although I don't purchase many xhybridus any more unless they are really distinct, this may be one to consider. I am sure I will find one locally somewhere -- my own nursery trials a lot of Terra Nova intros so maybe they'll bring some in. My new garden is almost the perfect setting for hellebores - very woodlandish - so a good excuse to do more hellebore shopping :-)

Sponsored