where are some options to purchase hellebore's

price - variety - quality

thanks - mr toad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: purchase

• Posted by mlb86 6B NE TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 17, 12 at 15:54

Pine Knot Farms offers many species and hybrids including both seed grown strains and tissue cultured clones. Heronswood has a lot of tissue cultured clones and a few others. Big Dipper Farms also has a nice selection and you can order their plants through Amazon. I recently ordered three plants from them and two of the plants are going to flower this year. Prices vary but you can compare them when you visit their websites.

o

I have been getting lovely ones from Brecks for $5 per plant for several years - they are all various sorts of h. orientalis. They send me adds for "5 for $25", and I order them.

Jackie

o

AS others have already mentioned, Pine knot is a leading hybridizer so should have nice quality plants, Big dipper has one of the nicer online selections, santa rosa gardens has lower prices but less selection.

The last two or three years I've seen decent plants at local nurseries, but if they're not labeled as a particular variety I'd be a little cautious about buying when not in bloom. Santa Rosa usually has a great clearance sale during the summer btw.

I ordered a collection of four doubles from Jung's seed this winter. Their rep is kinda on again off again but I'm hoping for the best!

I don't know if you're interested in seeds but it's probably the best way to get some real interesting plants. Buy a couple plants, plant a couple seeds too and in a few years you'll be happier than a pig in... spring

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here