Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgvnewf

ET seeds 2006

rgvnewf
18 years ago

I was wondering if anyone has received their ET seeds for 2006? I received mine today, and I was a little disappointed. Let me explain. Last year I ordered two different types of seed. Much to my surprise I received a third package of "bonus" seeds. Each package was supposed to have 10 seeds, but between the three packages I had almost 60 seeds!! Expecting the same type of service this year, I again ordered two packages of seed. When they arrived today I was disappointed to find just the two packages as ordered (no bonus package) and the seed total from the two packages was 21 seeds. Did I get a "good deal" last year or have ET Hellebores tightened up on their seeds and quantities? They did not seem to have as much soil media in each plastic bag this year either.

Comments (15)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    18 years ago

I didn't get any 'freebies' with my order this year either, and while the count wasn't overly generous like some years, I wasn't shorted any seed.

Understand that in order to spend more time on the nursery and propagating end, they now have a middle person handling the payments and orders, I suppose less personal attention should be expected. But, it's hard to complain about getting exactly what you paid for....the 6 types seed I received look wonderful, plump and treated with care. I'm sowing this afternoon.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Last year I didn't get any media in the bags and counts were pretty close to as advertised. I did not get germination from all types I bought, including not a one from the expensive 'Julie' but I did get a bonus pack and that one did germinate the best. I haven't given up yet on any of the pots though.

18 years ago

Lotetta, no media at all? In the past the seeds have come with a bit of moist sterile vermiculite, it takes only a scant half tsp or less to provide the moistness for 10-20 seeds. This year I think they arrived in sterile coir, because I know they choose not to use peat for environmental concerns.

I've never had a problem with germination from ET seeds, but my climate mirrors theirs only with reversed seasons. When I receive my seeds, they are planted and placed outdoors - mother nature does the rest.

• geoforce
    18 years ago

I ordered 8 lots this year, and got exactly 10 seeds in each lot, no extras. Most of the bags had only the seed with a very few scraps of media,certainly not packed in it, and they did not arrive moist. In fact, in 3 of the lots, the seeds were quite wrinkled indicating they were drying out.

This is my first year with ET seed, so I have no background as to germination.

George

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

No media at all. Just in ziplocs. I was surprised too.

• jgwoodard
    18 years ago

The major difference this year is that ET is using an intermediary to distribute the seed. It may have something to do with the packaging and contents.

• claysoil
    18 years ago

I think I'd drop a line to the Dudley's letting them now there was no medium in the seed baggies. John always responded to any email I sent him and was very helpful. They are going to want to maintain the good reputation they have.

Loretta I was interested to read that you did not have the best germination rates last year. I bought my first ET seed in 04 and had almost 100% germination. The 05 seed was not as successful.

And I received less seed in 05 than in 04, but always got at least the advertized amount, so no complaining here.

• goswimmin
    18 years ago

I also got my ET maybe 2 weeks ago. They are now in the refrigerator in a seed starting mix.
    I got the 10 seeds in each of the 2 packages as stated. The seeds did come with a very minimum amount of medium and were dry.
    2 years ago I bought seeds from the Dudley's as did lots of others on the forum. Everyone raved about the generous amounts of seeds but by the time I ordered I only got what I ordered. The note said to plant them outside right away and I did that. I got no germination whatsoever. I gave them a chance again this year and hope for better luck. If not then never again as between the 2 orders it was faily expensive for just seeds.
    Mary/Gainesville, GA

• claysoil
    18 years ago

goswimmin, I hope you get some germination this year from last year's seed! Do you remmember which seeds they were? When you put them outside after their arrival, did you still have some cold weeks left? I believe that mine started germinating after 7 weeks when I had them in the fridge.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Are the dry seeds because of the distributor or because of the change in law regarding imported seeds? After all, part of the big attraction to ET in the first place was the pre-moist warm stratification and the fast first season germination we all experienced. That was a very important sell point to make one buy seeds on the other side of the world (besides the fun factor).

Still, I can't complain. I had better germination than any other seed I've bought on most of them. And I can never be sure the lack of germination wasn't my fault or some other cause.

Goswimmin, as I wrote in another post here, last year's seeds mostly showed their first leaves in the fall. Nothing in the spring like the first go around so don't give up hope yet. I haven't!

• lisa03
    18 years ago

I'm very interested in this post because I order ET seeds last year for the first time after reading all the great things about them on this forum. They spent almost a month in transit and none of them germinated. So, this year, I went with Chiltern (where I order other seeds) and so far about half of them have germinated. I assumed I got really unlucky last year, but wasn't ready to take another chance. Sounds like the lucky ones discovered ET in earlier years.

• GabyC
    18 years ago

I was one of the ones who ordered ET seeds years ago, and I did receive them in some growth medium, in generous amounts and with a bonus package as well.
    I also noticed when looking through their seed list this year, that they don't direct sell to Canada any more and held off on ordering.
    I really think though, that one of you, who did get the seeds without growth medium this year, should contact the Dudleys, because I am sure, that they wouldn't appreciate their good reputation damaged by some dealers, who don't maintain the quality of their product.

Gaby

• ladyblues1965
    18 years ago

after reading this thread I am now wondering what isET seeds and where do I find them? and also Dudleys?
    I would love to see what seeds are available.
    Thanks
    Kelley

18 years ago

Kelley, they are John and Corrie Dudley, Elizabeth Town Hellebores

Here is a link that might be useful: Elizabeth Town is here -

• hellebore
    18 years ago

Hello list members,
    I am distressed to read of the difficulties that some of you have had with our seeds for the current season.
    I can only apologise for this, there can be no excuses.
    We do make it our policy to be as generous with our seed count as seasonal circumstances permit and the fact that some of you received only the stated amount per packet may perhaps be attributable to poor seed yield of some of our varieties for this year, however, the year wasn't quite as grim as all that and you may be assured that in the future seeds counts will be a little more fullsome.
    Our warm/moist seed treatments reamin as ever but I am troubled to discover that the packets contained little or no sterilised media, this can in effect undo the treatment process and again I apologise, it will change!
    I invite all who may feel aggrieved by our product for this year to write to me personally at hortus@southcom.com.au so that we may discuss your problems and set it right.

Kindest regards John Dudley