Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RHS seeds

Posted by ljrmiller z7 NV (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 13, 06 at 13:00

I have (so far) a single sprout from the RHS hellebore seeds I started in winter 2005. I am soooo thrilled! Okay, so I'm easily excited.

I also have lots of self-sown seedlings from my Helleborus foetidus 'Wester Flisk', just in time for the original plant to die off, and a decent crop of self-sown seedlings in a halo around my oldest (about 6 years old?) Helleborus x hybridus.

Both of my newer H. x hybridus came into bloom: one is a bright magenta-burgundy color, and the other is white with burgundy spots. Of course I think they are ALL beautiful.

I sowed lots and lots of Helleborus seed about a month ago from Phedar nursery--I look forward to those babies ( I got peony seed as well).

I'm already making up wishlists for July, when the new Phedar list comes out!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RHS seeds

By RHS do you mean Royal Heritage? And where did you get them?

o

I think Lisa is referring to the Royal Horticultural Society. They have a very good annual seed distribution scheme.

o

RHS = Royal Horticultural Society. To get a U.S. membership it costs about $80 a year, plus another (approx.) $20 for 20 packets of seed from the annual seed distribution scheme.

I think it's a great deal, even if I never visit the UK again (I plan to visit the UK several more times, but the universe has a way of messing up plans). You get a beautiful monthly magazine: "The Garden", which never fails to have at least one article I truly enjoy. The seed distribution scheme is an excellent deal: for a little less than $1.00 a packet, you get seeds that usually cost $3-$6 a packet from T&M or similar suppliers.

Lisa

o

The Hardy Plant Society does the same thing, and I am growing my first seeds from that deal. If you contribute some of your own seed, you get bonus packs. I got a couple of packs of hellebores out of that, as well as some plants found only in arboretums around these parts. You're ahead of me with your seed this year. Just today I planted the hellebore seed I received a month ago. I hope that I don't have to wait for a year for germination though!

There are sprouts around some of my hellebores outside already. At the moment everything is coated in ice, so I hope they make it.

Congratulations on your sprout! Hope there are several more! England is famous for its hellebores. It'll be fun to see what this looks like when it blooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here