Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heatherisnotaweed

brown on leaves

heatherisnotaweed
19 years ago

I was given a hellebore last fall, which I planted in a nice, south facing bed near my front door. It has bloomed this winter as advertized, but has some brown spots on the leaves. is this normal? can I trim off the damaged leaves and will new leaves grow?

Thanks for your help :-)

heatherisnotaweed

Comments (8)

• claysoil
    19 years ago

You're in zone 8 and you planted a hellebore in a southern exposure? What type is it? They are generally considered to be shade plants. I do have one plant that gets plenty of sun, but I am in zone 6 and it some kind of atrorubens hybrid.

As for discoloration of leaves, again, what kind is it? An orientalis hybrid (which most U.S. gardeners seem to have)? Typical recommendation is to cut back old foliage in spring as new growth crowns on the surface of the ground. The old foliage will get black/brown and needs to be removed before a common disease (black spot?) takes hold. So, is this last year's foliage?

• heatherisnotaweed
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well,I don't know what type it is, except that it has white/yellow flowers. If it needs shde I can move it to the other side of my porch. I think I just need to trim it back, then. Thanks!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    19 years ago

Hellebores will take quite a lot more sun than most folks think. In their native environments they are often found growing in meadows and scrublands and woodland verges - at the most light shade but certainly not heavy shade and often in full sun. I prefer to call them shade tolerant, not shade lovers, and several species with more Mediterranean origins do indeed prefer full sun.

As to the brown spots, this is Coniothyrium hellebori or a fungal leaf spot, a pretty common problem that is not really very severe. Tends to be most common on x hybridus but caulescent species can get it also. Just remove any affected foliage and you will be fine - it will be replaced very quickly with new growth.

• heatherisnotaweed
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks :-) I trimmed it today but forbore moving it since it seems quite happy without the spotty leaves. I noticed new growth from the crown.

heather

• bruceNH
    19 years ago

Hi Heather,
    Very useful information on old foliage can be found in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old foliage

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    19 years ago

heatherisnotaweed, South of you I have several oriental hybrids and h. foetidus in South and West exposures and they are fine there....in fact, quite happy. They do get drip irrigation in late summer and early fall....

• jgwoodard
    19 years ago

As for the exposure, I grow many hybrids and species in full afternoon sun in middle Tennessee. And of course in the South the sun's rays are more direct. No problem for sure. I sometimes plant summer annuals and perennials in between the hellebores to help keep the roots cooler (and occasional large stones also work well).
    Sort of funny actually. You can see hummingbirds dining on annual salvia directly above hellebores in parts of the garden. Not exactly textbook but effective and actually quite pretty. The bright colors go well with the dark foliage of hellebores.

• heatherisnotaweed
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, all of this has prompted me to read up on hellebores. they are actually cool plants. I found them a bit creepy before, I don't know exactly why. I am thinking about buying another one to keep it company, now that I know it's ok where it is. Thanks for the link, BruceNH.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville