Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do hellebore blooms change over the years?

Posted by thane z8 Bellevue, WA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 08 at 17:22

The other day I was blathering on endlessly about hellebores, as I have been doing for about 6 weeks now, and an acquaintance piped up and mentioned something curious. He said that he had a hellebore with some really cool, unusual blooms, and that over the years the blooms had changed to a more generic medium pink. He said that some of his dark purple ones got lighter and more generic after a few years too. Has anyone else noticed this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do hellebore blooms change over the years?

Thane, I'd be a bit suspect :-)) Flowering plants generally do not change their flower color. There are some exceptions - some cultivars will revert to species but they tend to be only one or two steps genetically removed from the species and various stressors can contribute to the reversion. Modern selection of Helleborus x hybridus are so heavily hybridized with so many genetic inputs it is difficult to identify clearly with any species parentage.

When you see a dramatic change in flower color, it is most likely that seedlings or offspring have grown up and replaced the original plant. With the heavily hybridized hellebores, the seedlings could (and most often will) offer a very different appearance. Otherwise, a weak seed strain or just inferior hybridizing could result in flowers that are rather lackluster in appearance - there's a lot of them out there, unfortunately. Cultural factors could come into play as well - excessive sun can bleach out colors, soil pH may play a small role, excessive or improper fertilization, etc. You get the picture :-))

FWIW, I have mature clumps of x hybridus that have been in the ground for going on 20 years that have maintained their color exactly - the "blacks" remain black, slates continue to be slates, apricots are apricot and even spotted and picotees selections produce consistent flower colors year after year. If you buy quality plants from known hybridizers or recognized seed strains and grow them under proper conditions, the colors should stay true regardless of the age of the plant.

o

And they will self-sow, at least the h. hybrids and h. nigers. I usually leave the volunteers in place, but it's probably better to move them to a nursery bed and see what they turn into.

o

Although genetic makeup is most important in determining flower color, in some cases pigmentation can be influenced by environmental factors. For example, the anthocyanin pigments that commonly produce pinks and purples can be induced in response to cold.

This type of variation appears more as a flush or increase in pigmentation than a total change in color. For example, I have a H. x ericsmithii that flowers year-round; in summer it has greenish-white blooms but during cold months distinctly pink-flushed flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here