Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Helleborus under pin oak

Posted by drsuz z5 IN (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 06 at 17:45

Hi. We've had a mild winter thus far in Indianapolis. I have approx. 6 hellebores(Lenten Rose varieties; planted year before last) under the pin oak in the front yard. I also have some ferns, hostas, and bluebells there. Everything is fairly spread out; nothing is crowded. Despite making sure the hellebores are watered in the summer, they haven't made any attempt to spread or flower. They're just hanging in there. Any thoughts on what I could do to help them? I've looked through the postings to the forum and it seems that they tolerate some acid, so I don't think it's the tree -- but please let me know if I am wrong about that. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Helleborus under pin oak

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 2, 06 at 23:20

I don't know pin oak, but I do find it mentioned in lists of trees unsuitable for underplanting with rhododendron and azalea....it's on the list as an unsuitable associate, reasons for that grouping of trees are: too dense or fiberous rooted.

Have you dug around theplanting area under your tree to see what, if any, root competition there might be? Are the lower branches drooping in form so that they exclude too much light?

Sometimes these larger trees can really rob the soil of nutrients and water more than we realize...do you mulch with compost or organic plant remains?

I'm growing many oriental hybrids, foetidus, macrantha in my acidic clay. About once every 12 - 18 months, I push a stick of plain blackboard chalk down in next to each plant for a slow release of lime (three sticks for a large clump). Seems to work very well, and I don't have to be concerned about changing the PH of an entire planting area and making the acid lovers unhappy.

o
RE: Helleborus under pin oak

Hope you have them in a raised bed, because they require good drainage and bright light. They are also tolerant of drought conditions, once established. I grow them under many types of trees, including Oaks and they do extremely well there. They will grow, but not bloom well, under low growing evergreen trees or shrubs. Soil ph does not seem to matter much for the Lenten Roses, but the Christmas Rose, H. niger must have a more alkaline soil to survive.
Check the soil around your plants, if it stays constantly wet, you will need to raise them up so that the roots are in moist, but not soggy, soil. Also, hold off watering them frequently during the summer. Sometimes(like last Sept) some of mine go for a month or more without water and bloom on schedule in the winter.
Rb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here