Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cutting off bad leaves

Posted by pamven z5neastindiana (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 21:48

Is it too soon to trim and cut off the bad leaves on my helleborus? Im in zone 5 and the temps still go down into the teens at night. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cutting off bad leaves

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 11:50

In my milder climate, I cut mine back last month, but I had buds emerging, some of them in full bloom now.

While what photosynthesis taking place in midwinter is minimal, Tony Avent from Plant Delights cautions about doing it too early in the harsher zones, you'd be a better judge of your own weather-to-come than I would be but if it helps you:

"One of the winter chores many gardeners engage in is cutting back old hellebore foliage. While we endorse the practice, I'd caution you about doing it too early. I like to wait until the first flowers are just ready to open before removing the old foliage because despite being often tattered, the foliage serves to keep the plant cool and slow down the development of the flower buds. If the foliage is cut too early, the plant develops faster and the buds and flowers reach a size that can become damaged if the temperatures drop into the low- to mid-teens F. If you're a neat freak and have already trimmed your hellebores, a light layer of evergreen branches or pine straw will really help to protect and slow them down in the case of upcoming cold temperatures. The great thing about hellebores is even if the earliest buds are damaged, new buds will still be produced as long as the plant isn't too far along." Tony Avent

o

• Posted by pamven z5neastindiana (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 12:31

Thanks!!!!

o

To expand on Mor's perectly reasonable advice, a lot of hellebore growers/breeders suggest cutting back the old foliage on the acaulescent forms as soon as the flower buds start pushing out from the soil surface. Generally this doesn't happen much before weather/temperature conditions allow for it anyway. New true leaves emerge almost as soon as the flowers fully open.

Like Mor, my climate allows for cutting back whenever the mood strikes. Personally I am beginning to heavily favor all the newer hybrid forms hitting the market these days that are caulescent and do not require regular cutting back of the foliage. Which is typically too handsome to cut back anyway :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here