Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting hellebores

Posted by newtownfarms Z7 NC (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 12, 04 at 23:29

My mother has had these for years. She recently moved and I potted some of the seedlings up. I also moved several to my yard. Some of them seem to be turning brown and dying down, I dont see a sign of blooms at this point, I think it may be a bit early. What is the ideal condition for these?? I garden organically and when I transplanted these I planted them in rotten leaves and some rabbit manure. I side dressed a few with lime late in the fall. Any ideas?? I planted one under a huge holly tree, it doesnt look good, one under the cover of the holly but with more sun, looks the best, one in a pot, dead, and one under the cover of a TALL tree which gets lots of sun and it looks just ok.
Thanks
Sean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting hellebores

While the common lore is that hellebores resent transplanting, I have found they will adjust to being moved just fine, although they may sulk for a seson or two. Your situation sounds about right (but I am hoping there was some soil along with the leaves and rabbit manure :-)). Competition with the holly roots and excessive shade is likely the cause of the lack of response of the one and potted hellebores are problematic at best - most potting soil is too moisture retentive. As long as you have well draining, yet rich, humusy soil and a reasonable amount of light (they prefer more sun than most folks think), you should be fine.

o

When's the best time to transplant hellebores?

o

It is generally recommended to transplant them immediately after completing their bloom cycle, however I have moved them at all times of year without ill-effect. Your climate and hardiness zone will impose its own restrictions so to be safe, go for immediately after blooming.

o

I don't know why but Ilove all hellebores. I think its because they bloom in cold weather. I just transplanted about 20 small ones. Do you think they have a chance. If anyone has any to trade give me a buzz. I'll post my haves and have nots soon. I'd love to hear from anyone soon. All crafters and gourd crafters and growers to.Thanks nanaoffourgirls.

o

Nana,
I just sent you an eMail you might be interested in.

George

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here