Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xanadu_gw

Pictures!

xanadu
18 years ago

We'll see if this works. I've added a link to some Hellebore pictures from Tasmanian seed planted 3? or perhaps two years ago (I keep lousy records). These are random pictures, not the best, not the worst.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hellebore

Comments (12)

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Thanks! It is great to finally see some seedlings from ET. Hope I am as lucky.

• geoforce
    18 years ago

If these are ET seeds, what selection gave the speckled ones on the first page? Beautiful! The "Faded purple double" is also much to my taste.

George

• claysoil
    18 years ago

Wow, these are all ET seeds? I have 2 2 year olds blooming this spring, nothing spectacular. In fact, one is labeled anemone red and is a plain white bloom. I have many others to look forward to though. Thanks for sharing your pictures!

• xanadu
    Original Author
    18 years ago

These are all grown from Elizabeth Town seed. I have no other Hellebore hybrids. The faded purple double actually did fade. It opened up deep purple then faded to the lavender you see in the picture. The streaked Hellebores are lovely but I don't know which mixture they came from. When I purchased seeds I didn't get any of one color, I got the mixtures, you know, red, white purple, that were offered. There was a spotted color mixture, a doubles colored mixture, a picotee and semidouble mixture. I also purchased the strain that was offered. I just had a new one open that is streaked purple--gorgeous. Whoever labeled these as poor quality must have access to far better cultivars than appear in our local nurseries. Doubles and semidoubles are unavailable here, though Wayside is trying to sell doubles for $49.00 apiece. I think my five doubles(not to mention the 30 or 40 others) are a bargain for the $20.00 I spent for seed.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Absolutely, I agree. I never even see them available like that around here.

• flowergirl70ks
    18 years ago

I am a total hellebore novice. The pictures from seed are lovely. Are they hard to grow from seed? I have only one, Ivory Prince, given to me last year. it is full of buds, but alas not very colorful. I would like to grow some of the colored ones, and love to try things from seed.

• flowergirl70ks
    18 years ago

I am a total hellebore novice. The pictures from seed are lovely. Are they hard to grow from seed? I have only one, Ivory Prince, given to me last year. it is full of buds, but alas not very colorful. I would like to grow some of the colored ones, and love to try things from seed.

• claysoil
    18 years ago

Flowergirl, you should definately give it a try! But, you must have patience. It takes them 2-3 years to bloom. What I have found is that I can just plant them in a container and leave the container outside during the winter and expect sprouts in the spring. If you do a search of this site, you will find more precise germination techniques. The biggest danger is letting the pots dry out.

I have not had luck with mail ordering seed from regular seed catalogs. In recent years, seed has become available from other, and better, sources. Pine Knott Farms is now selling their seed although they do not advertize. They have one of the best reputations in the US for good plants. You have to keep an eye on their website (around May I guess). In partiuclar, they offered last year seed from their hand pollinated Southern Belle strain. At a dollar a seed I felt like I was getting a deal when my best local source was selling non-blooming plants for 12 dollars apiece.

Elizabeth Town is in Tazmania and seed should be ordered in December or January. Phedar and Ashwood are in England and have great seed, but with Ashwood you have to pay a hefty inport fee. You need to order during our spring, I believe, for late summer delivery of fresh seed. There are individual breeders who make seed available from England too. If you jump over to Garden Buddies hellebore forum you can catch posts about when some of this seed is available.

And keep your eye open here too. I offered seed for trade last year although it was from open pollinated single blooms. I have not seen any of the offspring from these bloom yet....another 2 years until that happens!

But yes, most emphatically, try seed! Unless you have lots of money to blow on mature, blooming specimens!

• flowergirl70ks
    18 years ago

Claysoil, I too have claysoil. Thanks for all the info about hellebores. I really don't have money to burn, but since I'm already 72, maybe I should indulge myself for at least 1 or 2 colored plants. I do still plan to try the seeds.Growing from seed gives me a great sense of accomplishment. Happy Spring!!

• Lorri
    17 years ago

Wow, Xanadu, those are gorgeous flowers!! I'm new to hellebores. I'd heard of them from Heronswood catalog, but they were pricey. Well, the other day at Lowes they had beautiful H. x ericsmithii (Imanance Series) 1 gal. in bloom for $8 something. I got eight plants- no doubles, but loveley speckeled whites, pinks, plums & dark purples. Not too bad a price. I like to buy from local independents but they don't carry them here. If I had a bigger yard, I'd certainly want to try the seed!

• IngeA1190
    17 years ago

Oh, Xanandu the flowers are so beautiful!! I am really delighted!
    Thank you very much to show them to us!
    I have ET seedlings and young plants in my garden, but it takes up to 4 years here (Austria-Europe)till they start to bloom.
    With your pictures in mind I wait with much more pleasure for the first buds!

Kind regards from Vienna
    Inge

• poeticview
    17 years ago

Wow! I never knew there were so many gorgeous hellebores. The photos and information from everyone are so helpful. I have one Christmas Rose, a light greenish flower whose name I don't know and another which hasn't flowered. I was thinking I should move the one that hasn't flowered to a sunnier location. Is it better to leave it than disturb it?

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company