Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Helleborus x ericsmithii

Posted by greenguy1 z7 Maryland (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 7, 06 at 8:05

I just bought some Helleborus x ericsmithii from Homestead Gardens, what a knockout! Assuming they were greenhouse forced, I won't put them out for a couple of weeks yet, so I'm enjoying them in the cool, sunny back room of the house. What I can find on the web seems to indicate that they like it more sunny than shady, anybody have experience with this?

- Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Helleborus x ericsmithii

I'm not sure how hellebores got the persistant but rather incorrect reputation of being shade plants. They are shade TOLERANT but generally can take a fair amount of sun (some species and hybrids thrive in full sun) and will actually perform better and bloom heavier in at least some direct sun. H. x ericsmithii, because of its parentage, is one of these. In climates with hot summers, morning sun and filtered afternoon shade may be best.

Remember that many of these plants which now comprise our popular hybrids had their origins in areas surrounding the Mediterranean - Turkey, Greece, the Balkans, Croatia, Corsica - and grew naturally in woodland verges and even open meadows so they are accustomed to receiving some sun.

You might want to check out Joseph's (jgwoodard) new Hellebore website linked on a thread on this page for some excellent cultural detail and history on these plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here