Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to move a sm. Hellebore ASAP

Posted by bunnycat z6 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 18, 06 at 13:35

Hello~

I have a small hellebore which seeded into my garden path and it has a nice big fat bud. My children and pets know not to walk in this area since everything wants to grow beside or between the path flagstones. The meterman is NOT well trained, and has killed many of my plants along the edges of the path and even in the garden itself (what a @#%*$)

How soon can I move this poor little baby? It needs to get moved before the MM comes back on his next run through my side garden.

~Bunnycat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to move a sm. Hellebore ASAP

You can move it right now. Since it's fairly young it will be easy. Just dig as deep as possible and if you can keep the rootball intact without disturbing the roots it will not even notice it's been moved.

o

Thanks. That's good to hear. The ground is mostly frozen again. Nights have been dropping to 19 degrees, and days are high 20's / low thirties. We've had several thaws where the ground had softened up nicely. I think in a week or so it's supposed to get into the 40's. I'll do it then, and put a fence around the plant until then.
~Bunnycat

o

Hi Bunnycat,

Be sure that the area is well watered the day or so before you dig. I move hellebores here all year round, and if I bring along a nice rootball, they don't seem to mind a bit.

Sounds like you need some steppables!

Laura

o

Hi Laura,
If "steppables" are stepping stones (flagstone pieces), I do have those. But everything seems to like to root along the edges. And the metermen ignore the path anyway, and tromp right through my garden in the spring. Some of my hostas get very tall eyes before they unfurl, and the meter guys smash them to pieces. :o(

o

Hi Bunnycat,

I meant the kinds of plants that don't mind being stepped on. I'm trying several on a shady path through my back gardens. It'll be interesting to see what takes over.

My meterman was a stinker for a long time - leaving the gate open and letting my dogs out. After several requests with him directly, I called his boss. He learned to shut the gate in a hurry!

Your MM may have no idea that he's causing damage. Non-gardeners don't seem to see what their big feet are smashing. I have a good friend who loves to tour my gardens, but can't seem to help squashing a plant or two in the process - very frustrating!

Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here