{{gwi:873388}}
{{gwi:873390}}
{{gwi:873393}}
{{gwi:873395}}
{{gwi:873397}}

Comments (10)

• moliep
    19 years ago

Carol....Wonderful, beautiful. with striking colors. I'm new to hellebores; my plants are just setting blooms for the first time in two years. Your plants are magnificent. Where do you get them... from a mailorder source/specific grower?

Mine are nothing like yours... small and sparse. I'm wondering if they are too shaded along the corner of the foundation of the house, facing east.

• carol23_gw
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Molie,
    The picotee double and the picotee single , third and tenth photos, came from Pine Knot. Their plants are spectacular and much of their stock came from Ashwood , among other places.
    The first, fourth and sixth ones I grew from seed. It takes a few years to see the results.
    The fifth one, pink heavily spotted, came from a local garden, a division of a plant.
    The others were nursery purchases and gifts or trades. The double white one is 'Mrs. Betty Ranicar' and comes true to seed.

• jgwoodard
    19 years ago

So great to see your beautiful plants Carol. I love the third one but all are lovely.
    joseph

• maryvonne
    19 years ago

They are all very pretty. I especially like the viened ones and the doubles. Nice plants Carol.

Maryvonne

• carol23_gw
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the compliments! I like variety..... and think the colors play off of each other. The dark flowered varieties need something light near them.
    I've underplanted Cornus mas, soon to flower yellow, with yellow hellebores and some dark colored cultivars, too.

• stonybrook
    19 years ago

Carol, I'm curious. After seeing the great photos of your X hybridus, would you happen to be the same Carol that had the marvelous Blue Ribbon winning X ballardiae at the Philadelphia Flower Show? If so, would you consider posting a photo of it, so that everyone can marvel at the great colors?
    SB

• dbarron
    19 years ago

I can answer for you Stonybrook, yep...that's the same Carol. Fantastic show this year, Carol! You had to wait a bit to get out from under the snow...but it looks like it was worth it :)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    19 years ago

Carol are you still taking compliments??? Those are great flowers -and well photographed too! My favorites are third and fourth. Is the fourth a particularly large bloom? It's hard to judge, but it looks big.

You have singlehandedly got me all excited about hellebores again! I got my first (9 seedlings) last spring and I love the foliage - no flowers yet- but as I was looking at other photos I started thinking "what's the big deal?" ......now I know!

I may have to get a double after all.
    Thanks,
    Frank

• carol23_gw
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Frank, thanks for the compliments. The third one is a Pine Knot purchase. The fourth one I grew from seed. I received a batch of seeds labeled " pink picotee " which were from hand pollinated plants. Most of them turned out quite similar to this one. The flower is a decent size, though not the largest. I have a yellow single with a larger flower.
    Pine Knot is a great source of hellebores. Their Southern Belle strain should produce lovely flowers in doubles and anemone forms.

They're addictive, those hellebores!

• moliep
    19 years ago

No kidding, they're addictive, Carol. My husband wasn't much impressed with mine that were planted a few seasons ago (Pine Knot) but now that they've come into blossom... and we moved them into more sun as suggested... he wants me to get more. Pretty good, huh, when you get the green light? I am toying with the idea of hanging on a bit to scoop up overstocks, though after seeing you photos I definitely want Mrs. B. Ranicar. There doesn't seem to be any way to find it cheaply but she's worth it, I think.

Sponsored