Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shouldn't I see signs of life by now?

Posted by lisa2004 NY Z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 6, 06 at 16:35

Last May I planted 3 hellebores plants (royal heritage). The leaves stayed green all summer and have been brown and green all winter. I figured this meant that they survived their first year in my garden. However, I still see no sign of new growth and the leaves from last summer are now pretty much all brown. I have always heard that these plants should be up in February even if there's snow. I'm now hoping that means in warmer zones. We had some really cold weather and snow in the past two weeks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shouldn't I see signs of life by now?

Mine are not doing anything right now either. I was hoping to see flowers by now and I have nothing!!!
I just planted mine this past fall also.
Maybe they just need a year or two to get settled before they flower?
-renee

o

This is a really odd year and the micro-climates are causing extreme differences. For instance, I have 3 plants in a semicircle around an old stump, more or less shaded by it as the day progresses. They get variously from 3-8 hours of sun each day. Last 2 years all came into bloom at once in early April. This year, one is in bloom already, one is showing fat buds, and one is barely breaking ground. Growth stage is directly correlated to the sunlight they have received.

George

o

George is right that recent weather can affect current growth. One thing that is also important is whether the plants are going to bloom. If a plant is only two or three years old it may not break dormancy until it is ready for new foliar growth which often comes later than inflorescence growth. Look into the middle of the crown at soil level and see what is there. Of course genetics is a factor too. Some plants break dormancy very early and some much later, even in the same environmental conditions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here