Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vvesper

so what do you consider inferior plants?

vvesper
14 years ago

I got a couple of H. x hybridus last year from a friend. They were volunteers from her garden, but I selected them while in bloom, and I think they're lovely. They were still in bloom when I planted them. So I am now seeing lots of little seedlings, which I plan to grow on to bigger plants for myself. I'm not a hybridizer; not planning to sell any plants or seed or anything like that.

Having read a number of the posts here on hybridizing just for information - I note that there is some conversation about how good a seed strain is, how good the resulting plants are, etc. Obviously, garden vigor is one thing. I want plants that are vigorous and grow well.

But - how likely am I as just a casual gardener to be disappointed with the appearance of these when they bloom? I'm not looking for any particular colors or anything. Of the pictures I've seen of hellebores, while I certainly like some better than others, I don't think I've seen any that I'd kick to the curb.

But then maybe the uglier ones aren't photographed! So what are your thoughts? When you refer to less than desirable progeny or unattractive specimens - what qualities are you talking about? Anything a regular gardener as opposed to a "hellebore connoisseur" might notice?

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• kellied
    13 years ago

First of all, I evaluate for strength and vigor. It doesn't matter how nice a flower is if the plant is weak. I will then grow it on, let it settle in and evaluate the blossom. My criteria, and everyone's is different, is how the flower looks as a clump and from a distance, are the petals evenly formed or are some distorted, are there green blotches on an otherwise nicely colored flower and whether the fading flowers still look pleasing or if they look like they should be chopped off because they make the rest of it look bad.
    Doing this I have found that some that I currently own won't make the grade. They bug me every time i walk by so there is no point in keeping them in a focal area. I'll either move them into the hinterlands to naturalize or I'll find them new homes with someone who can love them for what they are.

• claysoil
    13 years ago

I hope that others respond to your question, since I wonder the same thing. I have enough plants to appreciate which are the more vigorous, but I still ponder some of the blooms. I think a lot is subjective,and since I am not entering mine in shows it really comes down to personal taste. I have some that I like because they face outwards and really show off their "inner selves", others I adore because they are nearly black. Some people want a star shap and pointed sepals, while othes want a nice rounded cup like shape. Anenomes, doubles, and picotees all have their charms and most of them are keepers for me. What I really waver on is color patterns. I've had a couple I really didn't care for, but then friends comment how lovely they are. I have a few people coming over tomorrow for a luncheon and hellebore tour, and I am really curious about how they will react to some of the new blooms.

• leslie6ri
    13 years ago

I agree that it depends on personal taste if the hellebores aren't being grown for sale. I tend to love green ones --that's how this obsession started, and prefer flowers with no spotting, but once they're in my garden they're like pets. I couldn't "kick any to the curb", smile. Moving hellebores to the hinterlands or giving them away (to a good home, of course) is what I'll do if any of my seedlings are too ugly to bear. --Hard as that is to imagine.

Still, it was very interesting to read what other gardeners look for. I had never really thought about it and now have criteria by which to judge them.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting