Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hellebore seedlings

Posted by dirtrx z7nc (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 7, 04 at 21:14

Hi Newbie question(s) I have seedlings underneath my Lenten Roses. They are about1-2 inches tall. Are they old enough/big enough to transplant? Should I put them in pots and keep them in a nursery bed. I am also in the middle of a vole war and heard the voles love seedlings so I definitely want to save my seedlings. I planted the original plants as 3 year old nursery stock so I haven't had much experience with growing them from seed. Should I wait until the momma plant has finished blooming? Do you seedlings need special care which is differnt from an established plant. I live in NC zone 7b. Any information would be helpful. Thank you, SHannon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hellebore seedlings

See the chain, "What's YOUR method of growing Hellebores from seed" for lots of tips.

Yes you can pot them up when they're at the 1-2 leaf stage, be gentle with them and get under them as you dig them out. The roots will be about 4" long.

Cheers Greenmanplants.

o

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 8, 04 at 11:45

I'll lift them when they have that second set of leaves or later, and usually pot them individually in my 4 x 5" deep pots. By late summer or early Fall, they are ready to go back into the ground (either mine or a friends), or they can easily stay in the pots another year. The only thing I do differently with them in the pots is fertilize occasionally with a diluted fertilizer solution; I mulch with compost instead of fertilizing any in the ground (waiting to mulch until I'm sure no more seedlings are going to appear, my self sown seedlings are still showing up here).

o

I also wait till they get their 2nd true leaves before I move them. They really are very sturdy plants.
I don't have lots of pots so I usually make beds in the yard for mine and have not had any problem putting them directly in the ground. I put them close together and then in a year or so thin them again.
Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here