Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Hellebore in distress

Posted by inlumino California (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 0:51

Hoping someone can help-I just received a Hellebore plant that I ordered online and it looks like it got smashed around in transit. The leaves are dried out on the edges and the stems damaged and won't stand up on their own. Is it too late or is there any way to save this poor little plant? Would cutting off the damaged stems help? I am in love with Hellebores but this is actually my first Hellebore plant so I'm unsure of how to proceed!
Any advice is much appreciated! Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Hellebore in distress

The top growth is not that important. If the rootball is intact, the plant should be fine. Is your Hellebore potted or bareroot?

o
RE: Help! Hellebore in distress

As you describe the foliage, it is apparently last years growth and will soon be replaced by a new flourish.

I would plant it now. Select a location that has rich, moist, but well drained soil and receives shade during the hottest part of the day, usually noon until about 4-5PM

Keep soil moist, but not soggy, until the plant becomes well established. Usually requires about a year. After they become established, they are relatively drought tolerant.

Hellebores perform best in soil with a pH of 6.5 - 7.2

Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here