Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fresh hellebore seeds - are they viable?

Posted by chasmanthe 9/10 California (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 04 at 3:14

I was cruising a a nursery today for early spring herbs (I'm a landscaper in Southern California) and tripped over a large green hellebore with splashes on the leaves. Didn't notice the splashes; noticed the seed pods, which were cracking open and starting to spill seeds.

I pinched off the open ones to save them, then bought the plant. (Only a true seed maniac would understand either act.)

Have harvested fresh H. sseds before around now. Always traded them away, as I'm too busy to coddle seeds. Since these are REALLY fresh, I want to sow some. Came to this forum for guidance.

Never noticed the little white line (like Dolichos lablab) before. It's tee shirt weather here, and I did not squeeze the seeds out. Are they "fresh" or premature? I'll look further for proper handling instructions.

I presume that the markings on the leaves will not come through in the seedlings. Flowers are pure Hellebore green.

Any guidance from you experts besides keep them moist? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fresh hellebore seeds - are they viable?

Read the "What's YOUR method of growing Hellebores from seed", chain on this forum. Get them planted without delay, they should be perfectly viable now. I do feel that when they are harvested early, it's important to get them planted without delay, as they dry out rather quickly and get slightly (prune like) shrivelled.

Cheers Greenmanplants

o

Hi Chasmanthe,
I just got back from visiting a friend who started with two hellebores. Both seem to self-seed nicely and she has the beginnings of a colony. But get them in the ground as fresh as possible.

Haven't forgotten about the asclepias. Hope you haven't forgotten the epis! :-)

Sheila

o

I sowed seeds from my own plants last June, just as they were ripe from the plant. Lots of patience needed though, they finally germinated in MArch, by which point the seed tray had lost it's label (DOH!) and it was only a couple of weeks ago when the first 'true' leaves came through that I realised what they were. They had virtually all germinated, so that was pleasing. I just read though that they take 3 to 4 years to flower!
Well thats my story. Perhaps it is different in California!
Happy gardening
Bina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here