Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dogcatlady

ideal conditions (newbie questions)

Ann
16 years ago

hello,

I bought hellebore seeds under the misconception that I could put them in with hostas & ferns---I now see this isn't true. I have other areas to choose from---what is the Ideal setting?

Also, the instructions for germination are complicated---what's the best way? what's the easiest way? : )

thank you!

Ann

Comments (7)

• razorback33
    15 years ago

I am including a link to Helleborus.org, a British based organization, that discusses germination of Helleborus seed.
    Most germination instructions are based upon the use of freshly collected seed. Old seed, from previous years, may still be viable, but as the seed age in storage, they develop germination inhibitors that must decay after planting, before the seed will sprout. This may require up to 3 years, plus the germination rate will often be a small percentage of the seed that is sown. Some knowledgeable growers recommend placing the seed in hot water(not boiling) and let stand at room temperature for 24 hours before planting. They claim that will accelerate the process for older seed. Those seed that float on the top of the water, are not viable seed and will not germinate.

Helleborus are shade tolerant plants, but require sunlight or bright reflected light to prosper and bloom well. Best grown in a location with morning sun, or dappled shade/sun throughout the day. If planted under deciduous trees, they will be able to absorb available sunlight during the winter.
    They also require soil that drains well and remains rather dry during the summer months. Soil pH is not that critical for the x hybridus species, but grow best in 6.5-7.0 pH soil. Addition of Dolomitic Lime will increase pH, Agricultural Sulphur will decrease it.
    If you don't know what your soil pH is, and want to test it, an inexpensive kit is available from most garden centers and Home Improvement stores, that will provide an estimate of it's value. A complete soil analysis is available through your local County Extension Agent's office for a nominal fee.
    Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing & Propagating Helleborus

• Ann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wow....wow...THANK YOU! So I guess buying the seeds on ebay was my first mistake...: (

• bobbi1950
    15 years ago

I have never tried to grow from seed, but all my seedlings are volunteers I find under the leaves of a happy plant I purchased. When they are about 2" tall, I dig them out and pot them up for a few months. When they are 6" tall I plant them out in the garden. I never know what color the flowers will be, but I don't care . . . They grow slowly for me and bloom in 2-3 more springs. I am waiting to see if my 'Ivory Prince' will set seed and give me some seedings. They do like some sun and not being wet. My soil is acidic. You can 'guess-timate' your soils acidity. If you have wild strawberrys, you have some acidity.

• greenthumbs2000
    15 years ago

in my experience, the easiest (and laziest) way to germinate helle seed is to place the seed in a pot, put a baggie over the top (keeps critters out) and stick the pot in a somewhat shady area (under a shrub) in the garden.

then forget about it until the following january. start checking for seedling in mid-january and as soon as they begin to emerge, remove the baggie and place the pot in a dappled sun, morning sun location. when seedlings have first set of true leaves, carefully lift (touching the leaves only) and transplant.

• Ann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THANK YOU greenthumbs and bobbi! I think I'll try both techniques---I'll divide the seed and put some under a hydrangea where I already acidified the soil, and some in a pot in a shady spot. I have nothing to lose!
    Ann

• lgkovalcik
    15 years ago

Hey Catlady,

I have tons of small hellebores. Send me an email if you'd like some.

All of my hellebores here in zone 7a Alabama are in with my hosta and ferns. They grow and bloom well with limited direct sun.

Laura

• Ann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll email you! THANK YOU Laura!

Ann

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor