Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackbe1

PInk Frost Helleborus x ballardiae persnickety?

jackbe1
11 years ago

Please may I have advice as to proper cultural conditions for Pink Frost? This is one of the most beautiful Hellebores with a long flowering season. Last year I planted two pink frost helleboreus Ballardiae, and they both died during late summer, early fall from rot. Last year, we had a rather wet season with higher than average rainfall in Connecticut and they both rotted. These were purchased from White Flower Farm, and were large vigorous plants when I bought them. They were planted in a small berm in reasonable loamy soil with a direct eastern exposure (morning sun) shielded from the Western sun by the house and the southern sun by a honey locust. These pink frost were not in heavy shade at all but in part sun part shade.

I am wondering if this particular variety pink frost is more persnickety about drainage than the average Hellebore? I have other hellebores that thrive for me in similar conditions to those where I planted the pink frost hellebores. Do you have advice as to how to grow Pink Frost--what cultural conditions they prefer? Not sure if the rotting problem was the growing medium from White Flower Farm. I did tease out the roots as much as possible from the original growing medium before putting them in the ground.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES