Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PInk Frost Helleborus x ballardiae persnickety?

Posted by jackbe1 z6 CT (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 9:16

Please may I have advice as to proper cultural conditions for Pink Frost? This is one of the most beautiful Hellebores with a long flowering season. Last year I planted two pink frost helleboreus Ballardiae, and they both died during late summer, early fall from rot. Last year, we had a rather wet season with higher than average rainfall in Connecticut and they both rotted. These were purchased from White Flower Farm, and were large vigorous plants when I bought them. They were planted in a small berm in reasonable loamy soil with a direct eastern exposure (morning sun) shielded from the Western sun by the house and the southern sun by a honey locust. These pink frost were not in heavy shade at all but in part sun part shade.

I am wondering if this particular variety pink frost is more persnickety about drainage than the average Hellebore? I have other hellebores that thrive for me in similar conditions to those where I planted the pink frost hellebores. Do you have advice as to how to grow Pink Frost--what cultural conditions they prefer? Not sure if the rotting problem was the growing medium from White Flower Farm. I did tease out the roots as much as possible from the original growing medium before putting them in the ground.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PInk Frost Helleborus x ballardiae persnickety?

I've had pink frost for at least two years without any problems. It was my first hellebore purchase and has grown without any special treatment. I live in southern VT and it is in 1/2 shade growing on a slope. Wish I could be more helpful.

o
RE: PInk Frost Helleborus x ballardiae persnickety?

No hellebore likes wet feet - good drainage is a requirement for any type. And they should be considered as quite drought tolerant as well - an exceptionally wet season may not at all be to their liking. Aside from that, the xballardiae hybrids are no pickier or harder to grow than any other type of hellebore and that includes 'Pink Frost', 'Cinnamon Snow', 'Merlin', 'Maestro', 'Mahogany Snow', etc. etc.

In fact, I find these types of hybrids among the easiest of any hellebores and some of the most sun tolerant - pretty much plant and forget!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here