Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grandma's Hellebore

Posted by annieg13 Z5MI (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 3, 10 at 13:44

My grandma had a hellebore growing in her yard for as long as I can remember. It had lime green flowers on it every spring. I would like to get one like it but am not sure of the name. (The people that bought her house mowed it down so can't get a start from it.)

Thanks for your help.

Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grandma's Hellebore

Here's a couple of possibilities:

Helleborus foetidus (Bear's-claw or Stinking Hellebore)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Helleborus argutifolius (Corsican Hellebore)

The foliage of the above two species are distinctly different, which may aid in identification, if you recall the type foliage of your Grandma's Hellebore.

o

The leaf (as I remember it) resembles H. Foetidus but the flower is more like H. argutifolus!!! Is there one with the leaves of Foetidus but the flower of argutifolus?

Thanks for the pictures. Even if they aren't the ones, they are beautiful.

Ann

o

There are some Helleborus foetidus plants and cultivars that have large, fully open, outfacing flowers, as shown in this webshot:

All of mine are seed grown species and have the typical flowers, shown in the first photo.

o

I am new to hellebores and don't know much, but I remember seeing this picture of one called Helleborus multifidus: http://www.hellebores.org/multifidus.html

Also, there are lots of green-flowered x hybridus, and I just got one called Jade Star that has particularly nice foliage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here