Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robiniaquest

Regal Ruffles Doubles Mix

robiniaquest
17 years ago

I am new to hellebores - 4 mature plants (Josef Lemper) in the ground, bought earlier this spring at Lowe's - but am interested in some of the White Flower Farms offerings, in particular the Regal Ruffles Doubles Mix.

But, I didn't really understand their listing. It seems to indicate you only get one plant, but how can that be a mix? I called their customer service and the lady said, without hesitation, "the reason that it is called a mix is because you get that full range of colors on one plant." This is very hard for me to believe, even though I am nothing but a rank beginner with hellebores. The colors included are yellows, plums, blacks, etc. How can that range of colors be on one plant?

If you get a Sunflower mix, or a pansy mix, or a portulaca mix, or anything else you are buying a mix of several plants - not a multi-color plant!!! Can someone explain this to me before I spend $40 just to end up feeling cheated?

Comments (2)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

Helleborus x hybridus, unlike the niger Josef Lemper, are all seed strains that have been developed by various breeders for various attributes. Flower color is a primary one with x hybridus, but since they all cross pollinate so freely, it is difficult to separate specific colors. Those that are, like the 'Lady' series (or 'Mardi Gras' or several dozen others) are derived from specific colored plants that are kept separate from any other colors. As these have gone through several generations of separation and seeding, the reds will generate nearly entirely red seedlings, same with the slate, black, yellow etc. All the rest will be sold as a mix, similar to the Royal Heritage mix, and will come in a range of colors, but only a single color per plant. Mixes tend to be less expensive than the selected colors as they do not need to be kept isolated in the growing fields nor do you have a choice of color unless you buy in bloom. You get what you get :-) And yes, you are getting only a single plant unless the catalog indicates a quantity. The 'Regal Ruffles' are a color mix of double hellebores and double hellebores tend to be very pricey - the $39.95 is getting you only a single plant in a single color.

Is this as clear as mud and have I totally confused you now ?

• robiniaquest
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No, gardengal, don't worry - that was a perfectly, crystal clear explanation. Thanks so much. That's pretty much what I thought. I cannot believe White Flower Farm has such poor customer service. I don't think you can know anything about plants at all and think that, but she spoke with perfect assurance.

I can understand the way they do their description is probably clear enough to most hellebore people, but it still seems to me like if it is a mix, they should specify that you're only getting one plant instead of one "offer," so to speak. All they say is 39.95 each. Each what? This is where I superimpose my own expectations... When you buy a seed mix, you expect a decent representation of all colors or varieties, whatever the case may be. When you grow out your seedlings, it'll be luck at that point. But, if you are buying a plant mix, it seems like you ought to get at least a couple. I guess with plants of this price range, people are ok with just a total shot in the dark. Interestingly, I thought it actually said "mix" in the description, but when I went back, I couldn't find that. Later, I did a google search for regal ruffles doubles mix, and found it cached.

Hellebores are maddening, too enticing...You all should warn me away. I can't afford this kind of habit. Roses are bad enough. I am trying to restrain myself, and stick to just the four I have in the ground for this season, to prove I can grow them successfully before spending more money on them. I definitely shouldn't be messing around with little 3" pots anyway. Right?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!