Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faerieannette

Where can I get unusual hellebore? I want black, dark red, doubl

faerieannette
10 years ago

Hello,

Hellebore are probably my favorite plant right now. I have several of the common variety Helleborous orientalis maybe? I would love to get my hands on some of the more dramatic varieties a black flowering one , a dark red. Doubles would be great. I don't see them in nurseries and i am weary of ordering them online especially for how pricey they are. i am going to post in my local forum but if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

thanks,

Annette

Comments (6)

• claysoil
    10 years ago

I can't believe no one answered this for you! I have heard that Pine Knot Farms will talk to you on the phone about what you want and send you plants in bloom. Of course, the catch is that at this point you will have to wait until next March-April to contact them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Piine Knot

• geoforce
    10 years ago

The suggestion of Pine Knot is a very good one. If you can, you should go down for their open house festival as it is a great show. Only a short trip from your location. Its in Virginia just north of NC border but you have to get there from the NC side.

My nicest double (a lavendar pink) and my best 2 yellows came from there on one of my trips down.

My best black (they are really a smoky overlay very dark purple) with gorgeous dark new foliage and my best white double were from seed ordered from Elizabethtown hellebores several years back. There is a Tissue Culture black available (got one of them from Pine Knot 2 years ago) but I don't think its quite as good as some of my others.

• claysoil
    10 years ago

Love my Elizabethtown hellebores too and yes, gorgeous darks and nice doubles all from seed. That is a waiting game to see what you get....and well worth it!

• shadeyplace
    10 years ago

The first Saturday in May Ladew Gardens always has a wonderful garden day and I believe Pine Knots is one of the vendors...even if not it is a day to certainly put on your calendar. I ordered Metallic Blue Lady from one source (can't remember which one) and it is very dark purple but certainly NOT metallic blue! It may have been from Tony Avent.. Wondering if soil PH has anything to do with the color of Hellebores as with Hydrangeas.

• BettyJSmith
    10 years ago

Go to the Monrovia Nurseries website. I believe it's www.Monrovia.com and go through the plants till you find the hellebores! I just ordered 14 from them today. They're not cheap, anywhere from $9/3"pot to $28/1gallon. But this is what's different. If you have a Lowes near you, they can ship your plants to Lowes for $0!!!!! You do have to poke around on the site for a little bit. In one area, I found only 1 hellebore. What I found their actual selection, it was fairly extensive!

• BJSmith
    10 years ago

I just received 14 hellebores from Plant Delights Nursery. I was very pleased with the quality of the plants, as well as the careful packaging. My plants arrived, most in bloom, actually and were in excellent condition.

I am new to growing hellebores, but I feel like I have a better than average chance of success with the plants that I received. I also noted that they carry the black and other unusual species. Happy hunting!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH