Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving seeds?

Posted by not_a_contessa z6PA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 21, 06 at 17:31

I would like to save seeds from my hellebores, to trade, and I haven't the first clue as to how to do it. Can you please tell me how?

TIA, Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving seeds?

Hi Mary,

The easiest way is simply to collect them and store them in a fairly dry and cool area. If you have a basement or north facing room that stays fairly cool it should work fine. You can put them in packages or a drawer or closet. They will keep well like that for quite a while, even years.

Joseph

o

Can you tell me what it looks like when the seeds form? I think I see 4 pods remaining in the center of the flowers as they fade. Will they get larger?
Should I be able to tell when the seeds are ready to harvest?

TIA, Mary

o

Mary, The pods will swell rapidly and then stop growing, but will not yet be ripe. When they start to crack, the seeds will be ripe. The seeds at that time will vary from a light brown to black, or even grey and will have a white strip down one side (elaisome) this is a fatty bit of food to get the ants to carry the seeds off and plant them. Check them regularly in late May and June, as they will drop out and be lost as the pods split. Some folks put a bag from an old nylon stocking around the flower head near ripening time to catch them.

George

o

Thanks, George, that's what I really needed, a guide for when to expect the seeds to ripen and fall so I can be prepared to collect them.

Bless you, Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here