Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
which buds come first: leaves or flowers?

Posted by rebaru z5 QC (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 30, 05 at 18:58

I bought my lone hellebore in 2002. It has not yet bloomed, and I had hoped this would be the year. It seems to grow and get larger. Well, the leaves are coming up as usual, but nothing else. Does that mean my wait for flowers is not yet over? AAArrrrrrgh! Thanks heavens I enjoy the leaves!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which buds come first: leaves or flowers?

Yes, flowers first , then new leaves. What type of hellebore is it? Some hellebores produce flower buds that need to overwinter, these ae probally difficult to impossible to get blooms on in Quebec.

The ones that are more commonly grown hellebores x hybids..orientalis hybrids lenten rose etc. Produce their flowers from new stems from the roots/crown.

Saying that I have some heelbores that had lots of blooms last year...but less on one plant and none on another, though they both looked like they increased in size.

Good Luck

Michael

PS There was actually a fantastic, informative thread on hellbores in colder climates earlier this year in this forum. Origiannly started by David from Vermont. You should take a look at that.

o
Link to thread

Hi again

Here is the link to that thread.

Michael

Here is a link that might be useful: Hellebores in z4

o
RE: which buds come first: leaves or flowers?

thanks for the thoughts. I bought the plant at the Montreal Botanical Gardens, so you'd think it were hardy here. it is supposed to be orientalis. i guess it's not going to bloom, because the leaves are opening. happily there are other things in the garden, so i can manage to keep waiting. I will shortly check the link you posted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here