Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will seedlings resemble parent?

Posted by gardenbench zone 6 CT (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 15, 10 at 19:38

My first Hellebore is blooming, the only one to bloom in my gardens this year and I was wondering, since there are no other Hellebores for it cross with, will the resulting seedlings be identical to the parent? And will it even produce seeds with no other plant to cross with?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will seedlings resemble parent?

Sometimes they do produce seedl*ngs that are similar to the parent plante. Seed strains, with named cultivars, are based on the premise that close pollination will produce a majority of seedl*ngs that closely resemble the parent.

But, since they are of hybrid origin, there are a number of "wild cards" that can be present!
Some Helleborus x hybridus produce few or no viable seed, even with hand pollination.
Others will produce variously colored seedl*ngs, some resembling the parent, many others, not so.
I have an old pink-flowered one in an isolated location in the rear gar-den, that didn't produce viable seed for many years. Once seedlings began to appear, they were all pure white. Seedlings from those offspring are predominately white, but with an occasional pink one in the crowd!

I have other very old H. x hybridus that have never produced viable seed.

The plants are monoecious, both male/female organs are present, so they are capable of reproducing in isolation.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here